Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Official part-time resident of the great state of Vermont!!!

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    About the coffee maker and guests, I mean overnight guests. Hermann, MO where we are moving is a tourist town and perhaps people will come and stay with us for a festival weekend.

and here is one of the coolest things about Hermann and St. Louis—there is a daily train from STL to Hermann. I can walk to the STL Train station from my house, ride 1.5 hours (exactly how long it takes to drive) and step out of the train onto the main street of Hermann. This is MIRACULOUS in flyover country! I could theoretically walk from the Hermann train stop to our new house and I HAvE actually walked that distance, about 1.5. miles. But if we have guests who take the train we would pick them up in Hermann train stop. Notice here is no “station” just a stop.
    We did an art show in the Hermanhof vinyard room right next to the train station one year. It was such a bad show most of us spent the days drinking wine and thinking about jumping on that train. To me that train made Hermann seem like the perfect little town.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    I would love to send you and your DH a house warming gift....something small but useful....
    A Glock?

Seriously myself, catherine, congratulations on closing and on the move!

DW and I seem to get along pretty well with not much more than 700 square feet at our disposal. The floorplan here is 1000-1100 square feet upstairs. Subtract the two bedrooms which are used largely as closets and a dining room we use only for company and we're probably close to the 700. It's plenty of room if it's configured right and if you -- as we do -- have storage elsewhere (basement and garage for us). We could be far more parsimonious in our belongings if we didn't have the space so we haven't resorted much to the storage furniture and such that people have mentioned here. But if half the house disappeared tomorrow, we'd get by.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post

Thanks, Williamsmith!

Thoreau-like is true! We went out there to see it before the closing--could only see it from the road above because it hadn't been plowed, but from that vantage we could see that it's the wee-est house on the block. And those houses are already wee! But that's what I love about it.

As for the guns... if I ever wind up single, and if I ever wind up without a dog, and if I ever decide to stick it out in the winter with no neighbors, and if the crime rate ever gets above 2 a year in Grand Isle, THEN MAYBE I would consider one of those firearm benefits Vermont bestows on its citizens, and THEN I'd have to take a big chance that I'd actually be able to use the darn thing without killing myself accidentally. But I get what you're saying. Vermont is a strange dichotomy of die-hard rugged individuals who will NEVER give up their gun rights, and Bernista/Bernisto progressive liberals.
    I would call the strange dichotomy........Charming.

Congratulations on the house. Since your going to be fixing up things, and your dealing with small spaces, I will recommend you remember to check out, http://www.ana-white.com/ as you might find it simple to build what you need, rather then find it at times.
    Check out your local library and look at books about Bungalow's and the time frame when they were built. There were a lot of built in's and people tried to have storage in everything. (ottoman's, today they would be using couches with storage under them, etc)
    As for that local table, there are other styles I like and when you deal with expanding furniture, it tends to get more expensive. I would like to build one at some point, based on the Stakemore expanding wood cabinet. They missed one thing that I thought would be of benefit, put a drop leaf on the back side.

Ok, lets talk under-bed storage. I will have to visit the IkEa here in town, a place I dislike immensely except for their tiny houses (those, I love!) . but anyway.

IKEA and others have these platform bed thIngs that have drawers. You put the mattress on top. There is no box spring.
    or, they also have this dodadd hydraulic system that lifts your mattress up and you can store anything under it. Not as expensive as it sounds.

but then, I think about how much I have always wanted an antique spool/spindle bed. If it were high enough, I could just store things under it. But I guess I would have to buy appropriate sized plastic tubs to do that.

Tell me about yoir under=bed storage.

I have one plastic under the bed storage box. I used to have 2, and my goal is to get to 0. I find vacuuming under the bed an annoying task and it is certanly wasted space, so I really like the idea of a bed with built-in storage underneath. I've never slept in a bed without a box spring though, so I'm not sure how I would like it and that is a critical consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I have one plastic under the bed storage box. I used to have 2, and my goal is to get to 0. I find vacuuming under the bed an annoying task and it is certanly wasted space, so I really like the idea of a bed with built-in storage underneath. I've never slept in a bed without a box spring though, so I'm not sure how I would like it and that is a critical consideration.
    Yes, I wonder about the lack of a box spring. I will have to lie down on these platform thingies at the IKEA store.

My daughter has the IKEA Malm storage bed. The drawers are quite large and you need space tp pull them out, i. e. to fully use them, unless you are just storing larger things. It had a hokey set of brackets to hold the slates up and in place. We went to Home Depot and got 4 1inx1in stringers and used those instead. Is it comfortable? She loves it! However, she recently said she wishes she had gotten the “lift” bed, just for ease of use. (And it is a few inches taller).

I have Ikea’s Very least expensive bed. I put 2 plywood panels on top of the slats to keep them in place. I have a cheap IKEA mattress that I put a Costco memory foam topper on, sooooo comfy! And,
    Actually, you could use a box spring and mattress on any of the IKEA beds, just check that the height is comfortable for you.

My dream/goal is a Murphy bed, with a sewing center in front of it. I figure the bed is wasted space during the day. If I could fold it up, not only would dog hair and other things not collect under it, but I could actually use the room during the day.

I have an old iron bed with slats only and a cheap (but effective) foam mattress with topper. I sleep well. I don't like innerspring mattresses and don't see the point of box springs.

I have an Ikea bed with slats, I really like it but I also like firm mattresses. I have a lot of plastic storage bins underneath that you can't see. That is more flexible than built in drawers actually. I can't pull them all out where they are so there is a bit of an adjustment if I want to get to certain ones, but those are things I don't need often. I have moved a couple times with this bed and in my current room I would not be able to pull out the drawers if I had built in ones. So if you are not sure I would go with the plastic bins, they come in all types of sizes and heights.

Thread Information