Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Live where you want and you never have to go on a "vacation"?

I tried the B&B path years ago when on a week-long solo trip and found it very interesting. Some of the other guests at breakfast and I shared some really valuable insights that I needed to hear at the time about an issue that I was working on. It ended up having some significant impact a few years later.
    Some B&B's were stark and some were over the top lush in amenities. Most in Canada are pricey as IL mentions. Niagara-on-the-Lake has some beautiful buildings as B&B's. One day I will try one again there when I attend the Shaw Festival.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I hate B&Bs. It feels like I owe the host my friendship. Or free therapy. I don't want to talk to strangers in a forced environment when I'm on vacation. Vacation is all about what I want. It's not about making pleasant small talk with strangers.

What Tammy said. I like the anonymity of hotels, and if money is no object, cool little boutique hotels. In reality, the Holiday Inn works just fine!

Several years ago I was very "taken" with the B&B idea. DH and I stayed in severeal different ones over a few short travels, as well as a few times with my 3 women friends when we would have a getaway. For the most part they were all good experiences, always different. But as I have gotten older, I prefer the anonymity of hotels as rosarugos said. I like just closing the door and shutting out the world and having peace and quiet.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

Well, as I mentioned in another thread, I'm going to CT--in just a few hours. I'm staying at an airBNB farm:

e9cf69_3fd53847cb6e480a82f72b67fa3eb73b.jpg.

I can't wait!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Well, as I mentioned in another thread, I'm going to CT--in just a few hours. I'm staying at an airBNB farm:

I can't wait!
    Gee that looks fun! I love the pond. Take some bug repellant and enjoy the idyllic setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Gee that looks fun! I love the pond. Take some bug repellant and enjoy the idyllic setting.
    Yeah, I read that about the bug repellant. I don't have any--I'll have to pick some up on the way.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    What Tammy said. I like the anonymity of hotels, and if money is no object, cool little boutique hotels. In reality, the Holiday Inn works just fine!
    Never again. Ran into a horrible bedbug infestation last time at Holiday Inn. Cost me $3,000 as one made it back to our home. Hospital and doctor bills, cost of home heat treatment, bed bug dog to confirm all clear, plus other useless things that I purchased to try to address issue myself before calling in the pros. We are scared to death to stay at any hotels and avoid at all costs now. The emotional and physical trauma and added gray hairs, not to mention the cost, did that to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Packratona! View Post
    Never again. Ran into a horrible bedbug infestation last time at Holiday Inn. Cost me $3,000 as one made it back to our home. Hospital and doctor bills, cost of home heat treatment, bed bug dog to confirm all clear, plus other useless things that I purchased to try to address issue myself before calling in the pros. We are scared to death to stay at any hotels and avoid at all costs now. The emotional and physical trauma and added gray hairs, not to mention the cost, did that to us.
    Oh... that is horrible. Just totally horrible. Sorry this happened.

Bed bugs are a huge worry for me when traveling.

So far I have been lucky. But who knows when my luck will run out...?

I do have a protocol for preventing infestation -- if I know I have been exposed. As I travel with just one bag, I would take a taxi to a place with a public restroom. Then I would have my sister meet me there with three huge extra-thick garbage bags and a change of clothes. I would simply put my backpack and my clothing in a trash bag then I would duct tape it shut. I would then put that bag into another of the bags and tape that shut. Then I would do that a third time. Then I would put on the change of clothes and go home.

Maybe I could take the bags of my stuff to an exterminator and have them heat it up to 140 degrees.

But who knows if this would even be the best method.

I suppose if my apartment got infested I could leave everything and start over.
    My minimalism might make that more feasible an option than for other folks.

Read that using lavender essential oil deters bedbugs. I always put 3 drops in the bed before retiring. Lavender is also relaxing and aids in sleep. Am an avid traveler and have avoided bedbugs thus far!

Thread Information