Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question about women and what they want........

There are wolves and there are dogs. Civilized societies generally shoot the first and feed the second. If the wolves are willing to keep their distance, live and let live.

Quote Originally Posted by oldhat View Post
    I was a full-throated supporter of 1970s feminism, but I find 21st century feminism increasingly annoying. I suppose it's a glass-half-empty-glass-half-full kind of thing. If you are a woman living in most modern countries, it has never, in the entire history of the planet, been a better time to be a woman in terms of rights and protections. Inequalities remain, but, given the different imperatives that drive men and women, that seems to be part of the human condition. And these days I feel like women spend an awful lot of time complaining about things that are less about sexism than the are about the inherent unfairness of life.

IMHO, what I call "first-world feminism" too often isn't asking for equal treatment, it's asking for special treatment. An example: At my company, a woman can get up to three months maternity leave at half pay with no loss of benefits. Now, I'd like to get three months off at half pay with no loss of benefits, but that ain't happening. I could argue that in modern society having children isn't a biological necessity, it's a lifestyle choice. Why should I be denied the same treatment because I chose not to have children? Because life isn't fair.

Be careful what you wish for. I'm reminded of a movie I saw a few years ago--don't remember the title--in which two mob guys are pulled over by a female officer. One of the mob guys pulls out a gun and shoots her dead. "What did you do?" says the other. "You just shot a broad!" His friend replies: "You're a male chauvinist! She wanted to be equal, so I made her equal!"

Equal rights, like most things in life, is a two-edged sword.
    Seems like EVERYONE expects special treatment in the U.S. Maybe that's the natural course of things when you're raised to think anything is possible, and you have every RIGHT to have it all. ?? We are a very spoiled nation, in many ways.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    Seems like EVERYONE expects special treatment in the U.S. Maybe that's the natural course of things when you're raised to think anything is possible, and you have every RIGHT to have it all. ?? We are a very spoiled nation, in many ways.
    I haven't seen that in my life; quite the opposite. I'm surrounded now by people with serious physical problems who are flailing around doing the best they can--and sure, they probably have it better than people in third world countries, but they certainly neither have it easy or expect to. You've said this many times before, and I have no idea what you're talking about. Sorry.

Interesting thread.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Slut shaming is always in style.
    I have always wondered: What's wrong with being a slut? I can't really think of anything.

So is bae saying that I'm slamming sluts? UL is saying there's nothing wrong with sluts. People, I'm just raising questions about how we possibly got to some of the problems we have now. When I see inconsistencies, I have to ask why. I'm talking about etiologies. Maybe I'm the only one here who likes to do that and it comes across as something else. I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    So is bae saying that I'm slamming sluts? UL is saying there's nothing wrong with sluts. People, I'm just raising questions about how we possibly got to some of the problems we have now. When I see inconsistencies, I have to ask why. I'm talking about etiologies. Maybe I'm the only one here who likes to do that and it comes across as something else. I don't know.
    Keep asking questions. No harm in questions! No harm in people responding either.

I once questioned a co-worker about what constituted a slut in his mind. We finally determined it was a woman who wanted sex more often than the two times a week he considered proper. Words failed me.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    Old hat - society needs those children. Maybe not all of them, but we can’t actually predict which ones.
    If you want to talk about the needs of society--or at any rate the planet--people should be paid not to have children. I don't think we're in danger of running out of children any time soon, including talented ones.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I once questioned a co-worker about what constituted a slut in his mind. We finally determined it was a woman who wanted sex more often than the two times a week he considered proper. Words failed me.
    Wow.

Thread Information