Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: So Did Trump Cave? Is he weakened?

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Sorry Alan, not trying to attack but you dismissed everything I said.
    And I agree. Not to pile up on Alan - but I can clearly see the dismissal you refer to, TT. Rob

All women do not agree with us. There are religious fanatics that are against abortion and BC no matter the circumstances.
    So you're dismissing those who disagree with you as religious fanatics?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I think a fair number of men have noticed this, especially in the younger generations.
    Even though I on occasion attend Men's Rights meetings and support this cause (though not quite as much as certain other causes I have posted about ad infinitum here over the years and will spare you'all from posting about now) I have noticed this. And a few other men I know of involved in Men's Rights - not real hard core cases anyway - have noticed it, too. This to me says something quite strong regarding Trump and how he is coming across towards women and their causes/concerns. Rob

All women do not agree with us. There are religious fanatics that are against abortion and BC no matter the circumstances.
    I am not a religious fanatic and I do not agree with what I think you mean, but given your lack of specifity in your espressions, it is difficult to know what you mean. If you are speaking only of abortion rights, it would seem to me that the well publicized change by the New York State legislature last week would give ya’ll some cheer. That is actual, concrete law, not whiffs of threat.

And of course it isnt action at the federal level, but neither are the majority of Miss C’s examples.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    It was actually an attempt to counter broad statements by Rob and Terry, definitely not gender specific and I would not assume that all women agree with you either. Since when does disagreement equal dismissal?
    When it is delivered the way you delivered it--a complete denial of our concerns, with absolutely no proof.

To take just one: There is no danger of Roe vs Wade being overturned.

1. I did not state that Roe vs Wade would be overturned, but that abortion rights are being attacked. Roe vs Wade does not have to be overturned to make getting a safe abortion nearly impossible for women. But points for deflecting the argument.

2.Trump is filling federal courts with more and more conservative judges, who generally are anti-abortion. He has placed two conservative judges on the Supreme Court, both of whom slant anti-abortion, although Gorsuch slightly less than Kavanaugh.

3. State after state, laws are being passed that restrict access to abortion.

You may not have meant your reply this way, but it came across as a paternalistic, condescending, pat on the head; a complete dismissal of the valid concerns of many women in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    No you're not.
    Thank You, jp1. My take is that I've posted very much both real and legitimate reasons to feel threatened. It would appear as if others on this board are somewhat on the same wavelength and this time get where I am coming from. I agree that Alan is not interested in hearing real reason(s) for feeling threatened by this Administration - I just see dismissal and discounting going on. (and not the good kind of discounting that takes place at retailers on Thanksgiving and Black Friday LOL). Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Cellaneous View Post
    When it is delivered the way you delivered it--a complete denial of our concerns, with absolutely no proof.

1. I did not state that Roe vs Wade would be overturned, but that abortion rights are being attacked. Roe vs Wade does not have to be overturned to make getting a safe abortion nearly impossible for women. But points for deflecting the argument.

2.Trump is filling federal courts with more and more conservative judges, who generally are anti-abortion. He has placed two conservative judges on the Supreme Court, both of whom slant anti-abortion, although Gorsuch slightly less than Kavanaugh.

You may not have meant your reply this way, but it came across as a paternalistic, condescending, pat on the head; a complete dismissal of the valid concerns of many women in the US.
    I was responding to Rob's statement:
    I believe - and ladies, if I am wrong, I won't hold it against you if you choose to illuminate me - that women are worried regarding an overturn of Roe vs. Wade.

Please be aware that's not a dismissal of your concerns, just a statement of fact.

"Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Cellaneous View Post

please speak to the recent New York State abortion legislation.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    please speak to the recent New York State abortion legislation.
    Please speak to the recent legislation in Alabama dating to November 2018 I believe attempting to restrict women's access to abortions. Checkmate! Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Please speak to the recent legislation in Alabama dating to November 2018 I believe attempting to restrict women's access to abortions. Checkmate! Rob
    Do you mean the one that was ruled unconstituional by a FEDERAL court? Like, it isnt in effect? Like, it doesnt have power over women’s bodies? Is that the one you mean?

since we are ultimately talking about federal action, that is a good example. Thank you for playing.

Thread Information