Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: How are you dealing with inflation?

If one really examines the homeless issue objectively without assigning blame to anyone, it is mind-boggling.

There are large populations that move to wherever to find food and shelter. If a local municipality tries to resolve the issue of housing, masses more will migrate there. Once again, that same municipality is overwhelmed.

My small rural community tried to support the homeless and drug addicts with a safe injections site. We are now up to FIVE injections sites, many more drug addicts have moved into the downtown and the homeless take over the town hall steps, park benches, library during the day and doorways at night. People understandably want to help them during the cold weather trying find accommodation in local motels.

I have yet to see a clear understanding of the causes of all the homeless as it is such a complex issue. Joblessness, drug addiction, compromised mental health are just a few. Until the causes are defined and dealt with, Reno as well as my little community will struggle with complaints from every side. Politicians, social support agencies and law enforcement continue to try and taxpayers are footing the rising costs. It is having a substantial cost impacting inflation.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I remember someone, Iris maybe, posting about the homeless taking over libraries to the point that the regular patrons didn’t want to visit the library.

In other places, it’s parks that are overrun with the homeless to the point that families don’t want to take their kids.

Are we supposed to just yield our public spaces to the homeless? San Francisco is a very unpleasant place now, I read, with the human feces all over the place.

Even the progressive City of Burlington has made efforts to relocate residents of an encampment where homeless have lived for quite a while, but it got to be too much, so the City shut it down. According to this article, the homeless are leaving the warm hotels they were directed to, and are returning to the encampment, even though it's been in the 20s and 30s outside.

We had a couple of church friends in NJ who were homeless. They were allowed to camp down by the Raritan River. No one bothered them and they had built their own tent community. They told me that they don't like homeless shelters. They're rather be outside. My friends, when I knew them, were not addicts, although they had been in the past.

it's not easy to come up with a solution as long as there are so many unemployable and unemployed people, mentally ill people, and so little accessible housing.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

My experience with Habitat for Humanity has been that a distressingly large portion of the homeless population, for whatever reason (drugs, mental health, perhaps even cultural), are incapable of managing home ownership. Even in steeply subsidized situations, we have to foreclose on properties when the occupants can’t manage the finances and maintenance. We lose families due to an unwillingness to put in the required labor contribution or demonstrate an inability to hold down a job. We’ve also had trouble with people actively damaging their homes.

I’m told by people who manage subsidized rental properties who have had the same experience. It’s very frustrating and very sad. It’s also frustrating that so many people who like to signal their progressive virtues will fight tooth and nail against low income housing anywhere in their vicinity.

Estimates are that 75% of homeless people are severely mentally ill. Many of these people were in institutions before we closed them to save money. The reason people don’t like shelters is because their stuff gets stolen and they are dangerous. People get beat up. It’s difficult to sleep in a room full of people. Also animals aren’t allowed. Families frequently can’t stay together. Past institutions were often hell holes and MI people have more rights then in the past. I definitely don’t have the answer either.

Yppej
    I am starting this weekend going to different stores to see if I can find lower prices on some things. This weekend it will be Aldi's.

Y, figure in your gas and limited time. I would try to compare online.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Y, figure in your gas and limited time. I would try to compare online.
    It is a similar distance to my regular supermarket.

Aldi's is supposed to have really good prices but limited selection.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Aldi's is supposed to have really good prices but limited selection.
    Small stores, too, which can get quite crowded. If someone is looking to avoid people, maybe a bad idea.

Thread Information