Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump's Tax Returns......

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    His tax returns are the least of my concerns with this Prez.
    It's going to snow in Phoenix tomorrow.....at least a foot. Just kidding. My point is that I somewhat agree with you here, IL. There are more pressing issues with this Prez for sure. Rob

Some of that snow would be nice here to cool things off. Just for a day or two. Although
    I will say we had several lovely days last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    You know the Constitution is very clear on the requirements for someone to serve as President and Income Tax disclosure is not one of them. It seems odd that an individual state would try adding requirements on their own.

If this requirement survives a court hearing, I wouldn't be surprised to see California go the next step and require all Presidential contenders to be Democrats.
    I would be interested in seeing how a state could require federal information, that is supposed to be protected. I can't even enter into the office a relative works at, to get a glass of water, use the facilities, wash my hands (took a jack to change a flat), etc.
    I would expect they could legally require releasing California state taxes, if applicable.
    But it doesn't even pass the constitutionality test, for that point to even become a thing.

The three most likely reasons he doesnt want them released are 1) they’ll show he’s not at all rich, 2) he’s laundering money for russians, or 3) he’s been significantly dishonest and there are people out there who can prove it. It’s anyone’s guess which of the 3 it is.

This tax thing is just yet another manifestation from this presidency where we are learning that much of our democracy is based on the honor system. Once the responsible adults boot the republicans they are going to have to pass a lot of laws to rectify that so that we don't have to go through this kind of BS again.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    This tax thing is just yet another manifestation from this presidency where we are learning that much of our democracy is based on the honor system. Once the responsible adults boot the republicans they are going to have to pass a lot of laws to rectify that so that we don't have to go through this kind of BS again.
    So, once the "responsible adults" remove honor and republicans from governance, the passing of lots of laws will be designed to do what exactly?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

"Honor and Republicans?" Those are two words that have no business being juxtaposed. If there are any honorable Republicans left, they're keeping a very low profile.

We demand a lot of personal information from our political types. Over the years I have heard people wanting tax returns, birth certificates, medical histories, military records, college transcripts, even DNA sequences. We feel we have a right to know. But do we have a right to information we ourselves wouldn’t want to produce on demand? In an era where people attack other people by combing through the digital garbage of every past utterance?

I, for one, wouldn’t want to be held responsible for everything I thought or said decades ago. And if some troll demanded my SAT scores or immunization records or bank balance, I wouldn’t feel compelled to cough it up.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    "Honor and Republicans?" Those are two words that have no business being juxtaposed. If there are any honorable Republicans left, they're keeping a very low profile.
    Truer words rarely spoken. Rob

It SHOULD be mandatory! It needs to be determined for conflicts of interests. Other members of the government have to disclose stocks, etc. I think the President should be held to a higher standard.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    We demand a lot of personal information from our political types. Over the years I have heard people wanting tax returns, birth certificates, medical histories, military records, college transcripts, even DNA sequences. We feel we have a right to know. But do we have a right to information we ourselves wouldn’t want to produce on demand? In an era where people attack other people by combing through the digital garbage of every past utterance?

I, for one, wouldn’t want to be held responsible for everything I thought or said decades ago. And if some troll demanded my SAT scores or immunization records or bank balance, I wouldn’t feel compelled to cough it up.
    Isn't it called "vetting?" Isn't it an investigation into whether someone is legally suitable for a position? Heck, I find it humiliating to have to go pee in a cup for a newsroom position, but I get it. I get why.My credit score gets checked if I want to buy a car. I get that. And I'm not running for presidency and I don't think you are either. So why hasn't he had to withstand commensurate vetting?
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Thread Information