Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can My Children Be Friends With XXX People?

Can My Children Be Friends With XXX People?

Interesting opinion piece in the NY Times today. Makes me sad.

"As against our gauzy national hopes, I will teach my boys to have profound doubts that friendship with white people is possible. "

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/11/1...ald-trump.html

I just got back from visiting the National Holocaust Museum a few weeks ago, and before that I visited similar museums in the Nordic countries. This sort of thing, well, irks me.

Yppej
    The author is hypocritical. He allows himself to have white friends but doesn"t want his son to.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    The author is hypocritical. He allows himself to have white friends but doesn"t want his son to.
    I disagree with your observation. When his children ask him about choosing friends, he will tell them to be cautious. He has white friends who have stood with him but many will not. Is it white privilege or simply abusive-tolerant bullying that is condoned and not fiercely rejected?

I do the same. I am cautious until I know the mindset of the individual I am encountering. I have not been treated differently because I am of colour but because I am female. That is what the twitter me'too is all about.

It is a sad story about those who see the world as 'us vs them'. It is centuries old but those of colour - brown or black or indigenous or other - face the same challenges and it doesn't seem to be decreasing. Sad when the colour of your skin is seen as a flaw. Primitive tribes see albinos in man or animals in their communities as fearful.

As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Should white people tell there children to not have friends that are not white?

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    If white people did that, they would be accused of being bigots and racists.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    If white people did that, they would be accused of being bigots and racists.
    It's the natural progression of identity politics which advances bigotry as a noble cause, social segregation rather than legal segregation.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

“I have certainly met much more discrimination in terms of being a woman than being black, in the field of politics.”--Shirley Chisholm

I remembered her remarks because she was one of the many non-starter candidates I have voted for over the years. I think Clinton's experience would bear that out.

Author seems to confuse rhetoric with reality, I mean just because people talk about the opiate epidemic it doesn't mean much is being done about it, and just because they may talk about unemployed white people of a certain demographic it doesn't mean much in the way of real help exists for them (actually probably pretty much none and they are to suffer utter despair silently for the most part, but sure not the only people to do so).

I also really don't see what the article has to do with childrens friendship, does she imagine these will be life long friends and not childhood playmates playing dodgeball or whatever. While that happens, how realistic is that really? Most people are not hanging out with their childhood friends all their life, though I have seen it happen, almost entirely with kids that went to private schools. Friends being people who care about your wellbeing and stuff, uh this is putting an entirely adult definition on friendship that isn't a kids definition (and frankly often isn't achieved in adult friendships either). A kids definition is kids it's fun to play with! Caring about one's well being at that age is a parents/gransparents/etc. job, other kids are for fun.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    Does not accepting and tolerating the claims that all Mexicans are rapists etc, banning Muslims as terrorists, profiling blacks amount to the same message to white children?
    Do not the public facts bear out that the opioid crisis in blacks was being treated as criminal activity and yet white-based opioid crisis triggers a public health emergency as stated in the posted story? Verify what you don't agree with but I have read this in several reports.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information