Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey

Are you guys going to move into town during the winter once that house is gone? We all make mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    We all make mistakes.
    What do you mean, TT?

I think the plan is to divest our house in NJ and during that time figure out what to do--my preference is to get a short-term winter rental somewhere in NJ for 4 months.

I don't have plans to buy a bigger year-round house on the Island, or in Burlington, at this point. I really love this little house, and I can't imagine finding a better one. I guess it's not perfect for everyone--given the assumption by many that I'll want to "buy up" if we decide to stay on a long-term basis, but it reflects my vibe and my values and my desire to reduce my wants and needs*, and it's cute and it's on a beautiful lake and I'm inspired by my neighbors

If we decide to stay in VT year-round, I'll first see if I can stand the winter in the house we already have and if not, I'll see what I want to do.

But I expect this will be a 3-4 year process. I don't mind taking my time on this.

*The other thing I want to get rid of is my full-time job--it's starting to impinge on the lifestyle I want to create up here. Because of my lifelong stupid financial decisions, if I cut back on work hours, I'm going to have to cut back on other things. A bigger house is simply not in my budget.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Williamsmith
    I’m curious. What have your neighbors said about the feasibility of over wintering? Have you read up on symptoms of cabin fever or SAD? I’m thinking more about your husband than you. It seems like your job will get you the socialization you’ll need to cope with the winter blues. Strikes me that this environment is vastly different than NJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    I’m curious. What have your neighbors said about the feasibility of over wintering? Have you read up on symptoms of cabin fever or SAD? I’m thinking more about your husband than you. It seems like your job will get you the socialization you’ll need to cope with the winter blues. Strikes me that this environment is vastly different than NJ.
    Yeah, I have the same concerns for both DH and I. The population here goes from 2000 in the summer to 500 in the winter, and those 500 are the REAL vermonter die-hards who have been on the Island for generations and consider building a dog-park "gentrifying." Kind of hard to break into that social circle. But at the same time, when we went to our local grocery store we were telling the people there about our plans to leave mid-October and they were shocked and sad we were leaving--they assumed we had bought a year-round place and were planning on staying. DH can and does make friends easily anywhere he goes, and he really feels these Islanders are his tribe, and they have embraced him (me, too, kind of, but I'm the shy one).

As for me, maybe I'd spend more time driving to Burlington and taking advantage of my kids being there and all the events a college town typically has. I might get more intellectual fulfillment from my job, but I don't get that much socialization from it anymore.

But, you are very right. I would never go into a winter here with rose-colored glasses. In terms of what my neighbors have said, they (and "they" are from Northern Vermont and Quebec) have told us we'd freeze our asses off. We face north and that cold wind sweeps across the ice and apparently, it's pretty pretty cold.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Yeah, I have the same concerns for both DH and I. The population here goes from 2000 in the summer to 500 in the winter, and those 500 are the REAL vermonter die-hards who have been on the Island for generations and consider building a dog-park "gentrifying." Kind of hard to break into that social circle. But at the same time, when we went to our local grocery store we were telling the people there about our plans to leave mid-October and they were shocked and sad we were leaving--they assumed we had bought a year-round place and were planning on staying. DH can and does make friends easily anywhere he goes, and he really feels these Islanders are his tribe, and they have embraced him (me, too, kind of, but I'm the shy one).

As for me, maybe I'd spend more time driving to Burlington and taking advantage of my kids being there and all the events a college town typically has. I might get more intellectual fulfillment from my job, but I don't get that much socialization from it anymore.

But, you are very right. I would never go into a winter here with rose-colored glasses. In terms of what my neighbors have said, they (and "they" are from Northern Vermont and Quebec) have told us we'd freeze our asses off. We face north and that cold wind sweeps across the ice and apparently, it's pretty pretty cold.
    We moved to Northern Michigan and everyone said the same thing about the winter. It took a couple of years to acclimate, but now it's just another season, and people adapt. Life slows down and you time trips to the store, etc. I checked and we get 40 more inches of snow a year than Burlington, and it's not horrible here with the snow, and I am not a snow person. Burlington is fabulous in the winter, so it is not like you are in someplace rural. You have family up there and you will have a private retreat if you stay there and sell New Jersey--I love it here in the winter when the tourists are not here, we all do. So if you become a year rounder, you will probably be embraced by the locals--we have found that the case, that they don't bother to be friends with summer people.

I think it sounds wonderful, to be there year round.

Catherine, sorry but I was referring to previous financial mistakes. I think we all make them at some time. I don’t think your downsizing is a mistake at all. Just the opposite. The only thing is maybe your 4 month apartment you could find one that is furnished so you only have to move your clothes. Or you could spend the 4 months in Burlington. Or you could insulate your home better. Lots of options. When we downsized from our big house and yard a few of our friends thought we were making a big mistake. One couple 10 years older than us upsized to 3k sq ft when they inherited some money. We love our smaller life. They will never be able to quit working. 6 months ago I retired from testing and sold all my tests. I still teach. Then a friend got to many cases and asked me to test again so I am and it’s fun again. Plus we have had some big expenses all at once and I won’t have to take money out of savings. When I lived in Wisconsin and upstate New York never thought about the snow and cold. Now that we only get occasional snow and cold I can’t imagine the opposite. It’s just what you get used to.

I've worked so much this year, it feels longer, so I may be mixing things up.
    Catherine, weren't you the one selling the coowned house? Did it sell and did you get the bil moved elsewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Catherine, sorry but I was referring to previous financial mistakes.
    Oh, I get it. Thanks.. yes, in terms of money, as Ol' Blue Eyes (or, really, Paul Anka) said: "regrets, I have a few, but then again, too few to mention."
    Short-term beach house rentals typically come furnished, so that's another appealing reason for me to go that route.

Tybee, thanks so much for your encouragement! I'll definitely keep what you said in mind (I may even print it out).Funny, the first time we saw this house, the owners were actually here and I had the chance to ask them questions. When I asked the wife what she liked the best about living here she thought and then said, "When everyone goes home for the winter and we have the place to ourselves."

TooMuchStuff: Yes, that was me. We did sell the house, and we used our portion to pay off that awful debt, which was the result of my STUPID mistake to cosign the huge mortgage on my mother-in-law's house in NY. So, in one hand and out the other, as it were (except we did use the few bucks left-over as the down payment on the VT house. I had to get SOMETHING for myself out of all that pain!)

As for BIL, he is living in our NJ house at the moment. It really was a win-win for us because he provided a warm body in the NJ. house while we're up here. He maintained the lawn and even got a couple of things fixed that needed fixing. And he covered the cost of the utilities and cable. Of course, once we sell, he'll have to make a decision on his own for once. I truly don't think he's at all interested in following us up here. He has issues with my husband, and he doesn't like the winters. So I'm hoping he finds something that's suitable for him.

It will be interesting when you sell the big house and BIL has to make a adult decision for once.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    As for BIL, he is living in our NJ house at the moment. It really was a win-win for us because he provided a warm body in the NJ. house while we're up here. He maintained the lawn and even got a couple of things fixed that needed fixing. And he covered the cost of the utilities and cable. Of course, once we sell, he'll have to make a decision on his own for once. I truly don't think he's at all interested in following us up here. He has issues with my husband, and he doesn't like the winters. So I'm hoping he finds something that's suitable for him.
    I fear he feels he is set.

Thread Information