Thread: Sleeping drug free!

Sleeping drug free!

I have not been a good sleeper for many years, both with not being able to go to sleep and/or waking up and not being able to go back to sleep. So, years ago I started taking melatonin before bed and it did help somewhat. Then just over three years ago, when my DH passed away unexpectedly, I knew I would need something stronger to be able to sleep. I googled what was the strongest OTC sleep aid and found Kirkland Signature. I started taking that. Then when at my nurse practitioner's for another matter, (somewhere in that same time frame of being newly widowed), I asked about a prescription for Ambien. She gave me one and I took it very cautiously, only 1/2 of one when I felt I really needed it. So maybe I was taking 1/2 of an Ambien a couple of times a week and filling in with the OTC sleep aid on other nights. Now, a few weeks ago I had to take what was (to me) a fairly heavy dose of antibiotics at one time for an infection. When it came time for bed that night I thought "I don't want to put another pill into my body!". So, I went to bed ..... and to sleep! How surprised and elated I was to be able to have a night's sleep without any kind of sleep aid. So, I tried it the next night, and the next and here I am still sleeping drug free!

I am retired and don't have to get up at a certain time most days, but if I have a night where I know I have to be up early the next day and want to insure a good night's sleep I do take my 1/2 of an Ambien. I'm sure it is physiological, that thinking that I have to get up in the morning, so I have to fall asleep quickly and round and round it goes till I end up laying awake a long time. I love that I do still have a sleep aid to fall back on when it is one of those nights, but for the most part I am not having to rely on something to help me sleep. It is a wonderful feeling.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

Sleep is important to me. I am glad ypu are sleeping drug free.

i do wake up a few times each night, but still get enough sleep. My snoring dog and his weight on my feet acrually help. i think. Probably sleep experts would say that all is a sleep distraction, but
    I disagree.

I have a new mattress, a firm one, with an expensive ($80) pillow top mattress cover. It is all very lovely.

When I am sleeping best, I have something terrific to look forward to in the morning: which can be simply sitting and looking out my window at the sunrise.

I have made my morning sits really awesome by listening to Steven Halpern or J S Bach through headphones.

I keep a notebook and pen handy, because I am bound to think of something I need to do, or better yet, something I feel grateful for. When a thought comes into mind I can write it in my notebook, and then let go again.

Yppej
    I'm glad you can cut down on the Ambien. It's a dangerous drug that can turn you into a racist.

That is really good news!

I am on a couple prescriptions and look forward to being drug-free someday.

This morning for instance I listened to Bach's Concerto for 3 Harpsichords, Strings and Continuo #2 in the key of C Major. BMV-1064. I enjoy the positivity of C … and trills on the harpsichords compensate for a cloudy and wet break of day.

congratulations on getting off sleep aids! I'm currently working on that, it's hard, I'm down to half a pill and some benadryl.

I love your siggy. I saw Leonard Cohen in 2009 and it was the best concert I've ever seen and will ever see. I adored him.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I'm glad you can cut down on the Ambien. It's a dangerous drug that can turn you into a racist.
    LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by freshstart View Post
    I love your siggy. I saw Leonard Cohen in 2009 and it was the best concert I've ever seen and will ever see. I adored him.
    I would love to have seen him in concert. I have followed his music since the 1960's beginning with Suzanne and watched him age with grace and dignity.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

That's terrific, it's so good to stay away from sleeping pills as much as possible. It took me several years to cut back and now I'm almost completely off them. Daily exercise and minimizing stress during the day makes a difference. Good for you!

Thread Information