Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who do you call

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Tell us, what is your supervisor’s reason for denying these programs? Is it the payment process that you have mentioned several times?
    He said that I am a grant based program, that is all. He said according to my grant I could not charge, and I explained my previous grant (21st CCLC) I knew that I could not charge, however my current grant (2A city grant) did allow for it and I had talked to his supervisor (the actual grant writer) early in fall to confirm that. I have moved slow on adding new fee programs because I keep on asking for support. At this point all my fall programs were full and on wait lists so it was obvious we needed to put in more.

My licensed childcare is tuition based and always has been, the grant that I had previously and the new one pay for additional programs such as sports teams, art classes, etc. So I have always been a 'blended' site.

You know we have check ins every 2 weeks and we talk about things like how I could put more detail in my goal tracker and my problem employee but don't get into my actual programming very much. We need to spend a LOT of time apparently, his last site actually charged fees so how is it I have been asking for months for support and don't have it? And if he really thought I couldn't charge why haven't we talked about this before now,

Hey my staff person just texted to see if I was okay, I sent a text telling them to do some lesson planning and that my assistant was in charge. That feels nice,

ZG, instead of asking for support can you state in an email your agenda with the grant and tuition programs and send monthly confirmation that the programs are proceeding nicely . Don't ask for permission or support which will then put the pressure on the sup to ask questions.

Sounds nutty to say this but maybe he simply does not realize that in your communications so far that you have been asking for support. Some guys are like that; "just the facts, ma'am". Be simple, factual and blunt to the point. I wish some guys would chime in here to help sort out if there is a barrier that requires a change in approach or simply an incompetent sup.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thank you Razz, I would love to hear if there is another way of working with this.

The support thing, he asks (and is expected to ask) every check in about how he can support me and it is in my monthly goal tracker document. I am very independent and so it is hard for me to actually ask for support, in previous years I have not put anything in the 'how can my supervisor support me' box so I was really trying. Not working so well

How about “my supervisor can support me by providing clear written communication about goals and program planning.”

Perhaps instead of "support" it should be "question/procedures I need answers for" or something like that. Because, really, from what all you've told us, you know what to do generally.

Even as I type that, it occurs to me that there should be a controller type person in the district that can answer that for you.

I think your goal should be to avoid his scrutiny as much as possible so he doesn't keep undoing things you have put together. Could be he has no idea how to answer your question, and he saves face by telling you you can't do it at all.

Woo hoo, found a job that I would adore! I am working on updating my resume. And I found out the process of applying for teaching jobs in my district. However I am hesitant, I tried for years and never got an interview. I wonder if I am on some type of black list (just saw an article about another state that had a black list). I left my one teaching job when my daughter was very sick but also wasn't doing so well. I applied for 5 years in my district and didn't get any interviews, which seems weird to me.

Does your district use EdJoin?

I doubt there are black lists anymore. With the shortage of experienced and competent employees, it is hard to hire good staff, as you well know.

A caution: be careful in detailing experience- you don't want to appear "old."

Quote Originally Posted by mschrisgo2 View Post
    Perhaps instead of "support" it should be "question/procedures I need answers for" or something like that. Because, really, from what all you've told us, you know what to do generally.

Even as I type that, it occurs to me that there should be a controller type person in the district that can answer that for you.

I think your goal should be to avoid his scrutiny as much as possible so he doesn't keep undoing things you have put together. Could be he has no idea how to answer your question, and he saves face by telling you you can't do it at all.
    mschrisgo, funny how your entry posted ?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

"Support" is squishy. Does this mean reassurance of some kind? Is that just listening to you when you rant? Is there some administrative actions you would like him to be doing in parallel with your own activities? Support is a word without a clear meaning. I like CL's and MsChris' words above that are more specific.

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    "Support" is squishy. Does this mean reassurance of some kind? Is that just listening to you when you rant? Is there some administrative actions you would like him to be doing in parallel with your own activities? Support is a word without a clear meaning. I like CL's and MsChris' words above that are more specific.
    Oh agreed, I have assumed that when ZG uses “support” here that is a general term for the more specific requests she has made to her supervisor. Several times she mentioned needing clarification of the payment process by parents. If someone just asked me for “ support” that literal thing, I would dismiss them as a lot of trouble.

mrschris has an interesting and possibly true point. Very weak supervisors are uncomfortable not having answers, and if that causes them self embarrassment, they may just eliminate the source of the embarrassment.

Thread Information