Page 32 of 117 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast

Thread: Impeachment?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Tell your husband that Trump has not fulfilled all of his campaign from promises because he promised to balance the budget and then some, and he hasn’t even come close. Not that any of them in the White House ever will do it, but yeah Donald. Do this one thing and I will vote for you.
    Seriously??? All the other stuff does not matter?

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I'm wondering why the expectation of chatter matters? People can see you without talking with you (no judgement on the outfit, just the rationale?)

And you're right. I, personally, very rarely want to talk to people on the flight, but that has no influence at all on how I dress. I usually dress "business casual" because a) I've usually taken a shower before getting on the plane to avoid offending anyone and I want to follow up with a "nice" outfit, and b) I just feel there is a level above beach or TV loungewear that I think is appropriate for travel. I'm probably old-fashioned in that regard.
    When I don't feel like chatting, I've learned to not dress nicely. So when others want to engage in conversation for the entire flight you just do it? I've had people talk over me doing work on my laptop, having earbuds in listening to music or watching a movie. Clothing seemed to be the only solution.

I can't believe I'm the only person that happens to when dressed nicely.

And I don't think a t-shirt and jeans is on the level of TV loungewear or beachwear.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I find it interesting to sit on a plane and see what the people boarding are wearing. In the days even before my time people dressed up for such an occasion like flying in an airplane and now people basically get on in their pajamas.

It’s not really a surprise that people don’t view flying as an event anymore because it’s not. It’s a gruelling experience that lots of people endure for the sake of getting where they need to go, quickly. Even i am old enough to remember when all passengers got what today passes as a first class meal. Amd coach seats were further apart than the premium coach seats today.

Personally i dress to fly the same way i do the rest of my life. In business clothes if it’s work and comfortable clothes if it is not for work.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Tell your husband that Trump has not fulfilled all of his campaign from promises because he promised to balance the budget and then some, and he hasn’t even come close. Not that any of them in the White House ever will do it, but yeah Donald. Do this one thing and I will vote for you.
    Bill Clinton shone at budget issues:

"President Clinton oversaw a very robust economy during his tenure. The U.S. had strong economic growth (around 4% annually) and record job creation (22.7 million). He raised taxes on higher income taxpayers early in his first term and cut defense spending and welfare, which contributed to a rise in revenue and decline in spending relative to the size of the economy. These factors helped bring the United States federal budget into surplus from the fiscal year 1998 to 2001, the only surplus years after 1969. Debt held by the public, a primary measure of the national debt, fell relative to GDP throughout his two terms, from 47.8% in 1993 to 31.4% in 2001.[1]" Wikipedia

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post

"President Clinton oversaw a very robust economy during his tenure. The U.S. had strong economic growth (around 4% annually) and record job creation (22.7 million). He raised taxes on higher income taxpayers early in his first term and cut defense spending and welfare, which contributed to a rise in revenue and decline in spending relative to the size of the economy. These factors helped bring the United States federal budget into surplus from the fiscal year 1998 to 2001, the only surplus years after 1969. Debt held by the public, a primary measure of the national debt, fell relative to GDP throughout his two terms, from 47.8% in 1993 to 31.4% in 2001.[1]" Wikipedia
    That was during the days when Congress prepared, debated and passed an annual budget for the President to sign. I've never understood why Newt Gingrich and crew didn't get more credit for forcing President Clinton to look fiscally responsible during those years.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

If we are talking Trump and campaign promises, it seems like a big one was to make America safe again. Not exactly a stellar few years for mass shootings. I don't think he has done much for the rust belt economies, bringing manufacturing back to the US, and the farmers seem to be having problems as a result of trade wars. And I've not seen anything about infrastructure, although the debt has risen so much it might not be such a good idea to add even more.

Air travel used to be a special experience and a little exciting. Anymore, reducing airport hassle and crowds and cramped stuffy planes is an advantage of retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post

President Clinton “oversaw” the economy? Did he make the sun rise every morning too?

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    About flying.....the few times I flew when I was young I did indeed dress over my station in life. I was able to justify such by being surrounded by middle class people likely not living in fear of America, meaning people who didn't live in the same America I did. It truly was once a special experience. Now it's morphed into stress, stress, and more stress. I don't envy those who must fly for business and I'm glad I don't have to. Rob

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    President Clinton “oversaw” the economy? Did he make the sun rise every morning too?
    I miss the Clinton economy - average people did have some power over employers in the latter Clinton years, even at my level, and I certainly enjoyed knowing I could easily replace any unbearable employer quickly. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    About flying.....the few times I flew when I was young I did indeed dress over my station in life. I was able to justify such by being surrounded by middle class people likely not living in fear of America, meaning people who didn't live in the same America I did.
    Just out of curiosity, if you think dressing in a button up shirt, jeans and boat shoes is dressing above your station, how do you ususally dress?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information