Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you write letters anymore?

Wonderful WS. Likewise, I still have the letters that my late DH sent me from Nova Scotia where he was working and I was at university in Toronto; plus the map with handwritten pages of each turn to get from Toronto, Ontario through Montreal Quebec to the lower townships 53 years ago. A lot of changes have taken place in the traffic since then.

I attended a showing at a local art gallery some years ago where letters from the past 100-150 years were available for reading. A woman had collected them and the personal information and history of daily life being reported was fascinating and delightful. Pioneers had similar emotions and challenges to those today. I loved that show.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    I wrote letters to my now wife once fiancé 35 years ago. She still has them. Where will the emails be 35 years from now?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I have a couple of people I correspond with by snail mail, and I do send thank-you notes and cards. ....
    Same here. For holidays like birthdays my siblings and I have transitioned to emails, but I know that for some people (like my unofficial inlaws who are in their late 80s) getting mail is a big deal. They look forward to seeing what's in the mailbox every day. I just sent them a postcard when we were on vacation in S. Calif. last week and I think it will bring a smile to their faces when they receive it this week.

I never kept cards, letters or email. Don’t write letters anymore.

A cousin and I write regularly and I try to send my mom a note every week or so. We're very big on hand written thank you notes and there are 6 in my purse today that I need to drop off at the post office, written by my 22 and 21 year old sons.
    I use to write a lot, there was a long letter in the mailbox probably every other day and I loved walking to the box and returning to the front porch to open the letters, read, and start an immediate reply.
    We had a conversation about pen pals the other day while I was visiting with friends. I wrote to Sandra in Scotland from 3rd grade through the first year or two of college. I haven't found her yet on facebook but wish I would. I was going to college and she was headed to trade school to be a hairdresser. I remember she lived in "Old Smithy Cottage" and I was fascinated by that address because mine was just a plain old Route _ Box__. Their house was a converted stone blacksmith shop in their old village. Almost every village in Scotland has an Old Smithy Cottage!
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I used to write lots of letters. I always did handwritten notes weddings, showers, etc. I still send birthday cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I never kept cards, letters or email. Don’t write letters anymore.
    I keep them all. I'm ridiculous. But I'm not sorry.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

If I want to correspond with my ex (we're still friends) I do have to snail mail him. In fact right now I have an envelope addressed to him in my purse that I need to add a note to. It contains his cousin's obituary. Ex lives pretty much off the grid. I write him about every 4-6 mo., send him a winter package of handwarmers, books, etc.

I have one other friend I write because she is not online.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Catherine, the last time I moved I threw away my yearbooks.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Catherine, the last time I moved I threw away my yearbooks.
    I tossed mine several years ago after moving those heavy things from floor to closet to bookshelf to floor in this house. Never looked at them; never recall my school years as "the best years of my life"; haven't kept track of but two people with whom went to high school (one is a cousin) and don't know anyone from university. Why was I keeping them? I've never had cause to regret tossing them.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I don't write any letters or cards. I have none kept / stored either.

I do have photos - but even still it is a relatively small number. All fit into one storage box.

Thread Information