Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: "White Athletes Still Standing For The Anthem Are Standing For White Supremacy"

Yppej
    We need more like you.

Edited to add - and honorable people in general. Take the case of Laquan McDonald. All sorts of people in government not just police engaged in a coverup.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    We need more like you.
    Given the attitudes of today, I suspect recruiting quality people to take the job will be difficult.

My heart aches for each person trying to do what they believe is the highest sense of right. I do respect your right to do what is right for you and each member of the police to act according to their highest sense of right.

Sports figures as well as entertainment figures are heroes to their peers and to their fans. Each of those players have been asked over and over again by their community to use their position for making a difference.

After really giving this some thought overnight and while walking the dog this morning, I realized that what was lacking was a leader to help resolve the differing points of view. None stepped up! Not a newspaper columnist, not a Republican, not a Democrat, no professor, no one! Please, please, please correct me if I am wrong on this as I would so love to hear about it.

A leader, IMHO, would have said (along these lines): "This is a democratic nation that is leading the world: in innovation, freedoms, (add many others that apply) and in its openness to peaceful protest. We have challenges to work out that will take the whole country to resolve as is true of every nation. There are, however, some points on which we need to agree; respect for law and order, respect for our flag and respect for our national anthem in support of all that we as a nation hold dear. MLK, Gandhi, Nelson Mandela, (others) found the way without diminishing those three points, we need to and will do so, too."

My US history is deficient in that I cannot recall any US president who has addressed the process of peaceful protest. Since I have always admired the protesting that takes place in the US, I am sure that several good examples are there.

I guess that I am struggling as an outsider with a sense of loss. I had such confidence that the checks and balances within the framework that created the US would prevail. I am beginning to doubt this. I am not alone in this view. When I see what limited priority is given to US citizens in Puerto Rico who are devastated by circumstances beyond their control, I question who is leading the country. It is not just a President.
    Over and out of this thread.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Williamsmith
    razz , as a citizen of Canada ....outside looking in, your input is valued here. I’ll leave it at that.

On my way to the gym this morning I passed three flags at half staff symbolizing an entire nation mourning the deaths of innocents in Las Vegas. As I travel around on errands, there will be more such flags and one giant flag 60 ft by 30 ft on a pole about 200 ft flying at a local manufacturer of hand tools that sells worldwide. That flag is symbolic also of a commitment to their community. A sign reads next to it..”Our blood, Our sweat, Our Steel.” They could have moved their production to China or Mexico and made tons more money but they chose to be true to their roots...since 1886.

There is a little bit of sense of dishonor when protestors target the flag intentionlly. They have the right to do it but I don’t have to like it. Protest if you must but don’t forget the good things that flag also represents.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    The NFL is dead to me. Only the NBA could be farther from my world.
    Bump. Yes, it was Williamsmith who so disliked Kaeperneck's peaceful protests.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Bump. Yes, it was Williamsmith who so disliked Kaeperneck's peaceful protests.
    Yppej, yes, I remember. And actually wish Williamsmith was still around to offer up his opinion on the current state of affairs.

I hope your mother is still well. This is such a crazy time for all of us.

Yppej
    TY jp1. She is still fine. I broached the subject of her recreational shopping again with my dad. I said she will say she went to this, that or the other store to see if they have an item and she could call them up and ask him. His response was, "You're assuming there's only one thing on her list." I am afraid not only for her but that if she gets she will take him down with her, but nothing. I can do. I also tried discussing it with my brother who lives with them but he was not interested.

Insult, accusation, disrespect...we can hear and transcend these messages when they are directed at us.

I see that in Grand Junction CO, Coach Tremaine Jackson of Colorado Mesa University marched along with perhaps 30 of his football players to the Grand Junction Police Station. The coach and players were protesting police brutality, specifically the murder of George Floyd in Minneapolis. They were joined by and supported by a number of permanent residents of Grand Junction. Waiting in the lobby to meet them was Chief Doug Shoemaker, speaking for the police department. Coach Jackson said he would encourage his team (130 football players, of which 70 are black) to co-ordinate with the Chief's team (the police department) to find ways to interact better in Grand Junction. Chief Shoemaker said he wants to listen respectfully, understand people's experiences with the police department, recognize biases, and de-escalate conflict. Chief Shoemaker asked to held accountable, and he made commitments to meet again in the near future to explore options. Chief Shoemaker, wearing a mask, shook hands with the protestors as they left the police station. The entire meeting was recorded on the video camera in the police station lobby.

Yppej
    Good dado potato except for shaking hands in the covid era.

Thread Information