Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An upper age limit for the US Presidency?

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

An upper age limit for the US Presidency?

Good idea or not?

I say good idea - Biden falling off a bike in Delaware today sealed this for me. What do you'all think?

Rob

Not.

So he fell off a bike, what if he had an ear infection? What physical aliment would make him unfit to be a president? Would FDR's inability to walk have stopped him? What if we had someone in the shape of Jack Lalane as president?
    Didn't we seem to have a piece of paper somewhere with some in case of disability amendment?
    Also aren't the voters to blame?

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Not.

So he fell off a bike, what if he had an ear infection? What physical aliment would make him unfit to be a president? Would FDR's inability to walk have stopped him? What if we had someone in the shape of Jack Lalane as president?
    Didn't we seem to have a piece of paper somewhere with some in case of disability amendment?
    Also aren't the voters to blame?
    All of these things.

But remember Rob likes to solve things with laws. That’s what people like him do. They think they are practical but they’re not.

Maybe the Democratic Party could exercise its awesome power and, you know, like not put up a candidate who is bumbling and too old for the job?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    All of these things.

But remember Rob likes to solve things with laws.
    But who would enforce them? They don't trust the police to do it.

You shouldn't hold falling off a bicycle against him, his foot was caught on the pedal, you or I could have done the same thing regardless of age.
    I actually did pretty much the same thing a few years ago on a 900 lb motorcycle. That's why I don't ride it anymore.

If he forgets this event and does it again next week, let's talk.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Is there not a minimum age for running (35?) Doesn't seem implausible to set a maximum. My memory is crap, and I'm way younger than Biden.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Good idea or not?

I say good idea - Biden falling off a bike in Delaware today sealed this for me. What do you'all think?

Rob
    I fell off a bike pretty badly about two years ago, and I was 57. So I'm not sure "falling off a bike" is a good metric.

This brought to mind an image of Trump on a bike with his bouffant hair and suit. Like it or not, there are physical and mental declines as we age - obviously more for some than others. I vote for an age limit as with pilots.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    But who would enforce them? They don't trust the police to do it.
    Ah yes, such a quandry.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Maybe the Democratic Party could exercise its awesome power and, you know, like not put up a candidate who is bumbling and too old for the job?
    Considering the field in the Democratic primaries, we have to remember Biden was the least alarming choice. To me, this is one more argument against open primaries (Mr T being another). I’m a big advocate of a return to the smoke filled room.

As someone who occasionally falls off stationary bikes, I don’t see a lack of (physical) balance as necessarily disqualifying.

Thread Information