Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Leaving the USA....

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    My prediction: bae stays right where he is at.

The reason: He has got it damn good and he knows it!
    It may be more about establishing a home country for successive bae generations that is not the USA, or at least establishing an international way of life. Should shit hit the fan, ya know.

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    I have 2 cousins who compete Attachment 1860Attachment 1861 and hold records. There are several competitions in Highland Games all involve men in skirts throwing heavy things! Ha! We build 'em big and strong in my family. In fact one of my uncles may still hold a few state records in weightlifting back in the 60's.
    Only a brave person ould call that item of clothing a 'skirt'...

You have visited both places. What resonates with your and your wife's values outside the work aspects?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by IshbelRobertson View Post
    Only a brave person ould call that item of clothing a 'skirt'...
    haha! I was waiting for you to weigh in, Ishbel! Any comment on tossing the caber or putting the stone?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    It seems a more honorable way of gaining residency and leeching off their healthcare system than simply buying my way in :-)
    Both ways seem honorable to me.... if they "allow" you to buy in.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    haha! I was waiting for you to weigh in, Ishbel! Any comment on tossing the caber or putting the stone?
    I grew up attending highland Gatherings throughout the summer as I was a Highland Dancer. My brother was a shinty player and many of the family played the pipes, but none of the men took part in any of the games events that required brawn!

Quote Originally Posted by IshbelRobertson View Post
    Only a brave person would call that item of clothing a 'skirt'...
    Thankfully my cousins and I are on very good terms. We razz each other a lot, but not as much as they razz each other. One cousin has been to Scotland several times to compete (and place) and I remember something about him being an honored guest. He found the home-place for that side of the family.

I'm hoping Bae will give us more thoughts and comments on this decision. I'm curious about the job offers. What connections did you have in place already? Were these offers out-of-the-blue or did you apply?
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    I'm hoping Bae will give us more thoughts and comments on this decision. I'm curious about the job offers. What connections did you have in place already? Were these offers out-of-the-blue or did you apply?
    The offers were "sort of" out-of-the-blue. I've been visiting both places for some time with an eye towards simply purchasing a home, and establishing residency. I have some professional contacts in the area, and have met people from there at training events here in the USA for years now.

The region is also likely to play a large role in my daughter's professional life. The jobs offered were, as almost every job I've ever had, the result of discussion and exploration, and not an application/interview process.

To be fair, the Canadian Gulf Islands are also a tremendously attractive possibility, and the logistical/cultural issues much easier to deal with. But I do suspect our one-and-only daughter will be spending the next 20-30 years far away from the Pacific NW.

Norway would be my first choice if language and citizenship were not an issue. More for the decision they made as a country on how to use their oil wealth for the good of all and not just throw it at the "new thing of the day." Iceland has been invaded by tourists and it is seriously affecting the atmosphere of the country for those living there.

Based on my experience with family, go where you and your wife feel at home. Children are then free to move where ever they feel most at home. Your daughter may end up in NZ or Timbucto depending her emotional and legal commitments in the future as many work commitments work well online. Her focus once was on 'old language', if I remember correctly.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information