Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: February Frugals

Saturday meal plan:

B-fast: Hash brown casserole using up 1/2 onion from Monday. scrambles
    Lunch if needed: 1 piece of homemade french bread from Saturday w PB/jam
    Dinner: aging frozen shrimp stir fry w/aging broccoli and leftover frozen quinoa

Yup, feeling quite smug with my "using up/not going out" meals. Let's see how long I can last! There is not traveling this month except to the cabin, so it's feasible to not eat out!

Last time I achieved that was a challenge Kalpana threw out here Yup, it's been a LONG time!

Tybee, do I need to blanch them or will they freeze fine fresh?

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    Tybee, do I need to blanch them or will they freeze fine fresh?
    I would blanch them.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    I would blanch them.
    Will do.

I've also decided to make a pot of Taco Soup for this weeks' take-to-work lunches. A quart bag of garden diced tomatoes, cooked ground beef in the freezer, aging corn kernels on the freezer, part of a diced onion in the fridge, aging garlic on the counter.....

I wonder how long we can go without a hit at the grocery store? There IS enough fresh fruit to get us to Wednesday I think.

geez, I'm feeling a bit virtuous.....but it's only Feb 2. I dislike having to eat my words!

There was a goodie bag.

i got a blank tile (useful in my classroom), a small jar of underglaze ($4.35 retail), an apron - also classroom, and a sample jar of clear glaze.

i also got two months worth of lesson plans, and, because I stayed to help clean up, about 80lbs of scrap clay! (I don’t know what it actually weighs, but I could barely lift it into my car. Since I routinely haul around 50lb bags of feed, I want to say it’s around 80lbs - I can carry two bags of feed, but I can’t lift them.) New that would be $30 worth of clay - mine for the effort of rewedging!

We came in under budget on groceries. There were a couple of almost impulse purchases that we agreed to put off to next week's list. I was going to get the large cod fillets at $9.99 lb. DH reminded me that we usually can't eat a whole lb and some goes to waste. He suggested we go with the smaller haddock fillets which were cheaper and to get less than a lb, so spent $5.00 on fish instead of $10. Good work, DH! I was going to get some asparagus, but $3.99/lb seemed pricey so we got zucchini instead at half the price and we'll get asparagus when it's at a better price. We bought some grass-fed ground beef and a whole chicken in addition to the fish, so $80 total for the week was extra impressive. The little decisions add up for better or worse.
    I made some clothing expenditures last month that were really justified: long underwear, new waterproof walking boots (old ones are no longer waterproof). These have facilitated me going out for walks in the very coldest weather, and I felt very good about the purchases. Then I noticed I was still kind of in "shopping mode." I think because I got a pleasant feeling from those useful purchases, I was seeking more pleasant feelings from shopping. I had a little talk with myself about how more is not always better and today's excess purchases are tomorrow's Saver's donations. I find it interesting to look at the psychology of my own consumer behavior sometimes. I think the rush from making a good purchase is similar to the rush of creating or accomplishing something worthwhile, but is much easier to come by, and so we often pursue the shopping rush instead of the creating/accomplishing rush.

Yppej
    My oil company delivered 35 gallons of someone else's oil to me. I was persistent in rebutting their claims that I ordered it. Eventually they found who it belonged to (someone whose account number was one digit off mine) and they are letting me keep it free of charge.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Then I noticed I was still kind of in "shopping mode." I think because I got a pleasant feeling from those useful purchases, I was seeking more pleasant feelings from shopping. I had a little talk with myself about how more is not always better and today's excess purchases are tomorrow's Saver's donations. I find it interesting to look at the psychology of my own consumer behavior sometimes. I think the rush from making a good purchase is similar to the rush of creating or accomplishing something worthwhile, but is much easier to come by, and so we often pursue the shopping rush instead of the creating/accomplishing rush.
    Yes! I noticed this because we bought a new to us used car (2300) then spent 2600 on fixing everything wrong with it. So for 5000 we have this wonderful car, but it started a rush of future thinking, let's go get this knocked out now, let's go buy this because we will need it, let's save more money preparing for the future.

Preparing for the future is my biggest expenditure, and not sure if I am really being wise or if it is sometimes just wasted because that particular future does not come.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    My oil company delivered 35 gallons of someone else's oil to me. I was persistent in rebutting their claims that I ordered it. Eventually they found who it belonged to (someone whose account number was one digit off mine) and they are letting me keep it free of charge.
    SCORE

Yesterday's dinner was FAB! Hubby smoked his 1st brisket and it's perfect. Mac n cheese w/broccoli was the bomb. This will be dinner tonight and then we'll freeze remaining brisket.

Taco Soup is divided into 9 lunches!

Yogurt/nuts/fruit for breakfasts is ready to go...will be out after Wednesday.

Have some leftover chicken pieces in the fridge....pesto pasta and green beans from the freezer!

I'm on a roll. It's odd for me not to be making a grocery list can I make it to Friday?

Thread Information