Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Cruise to Key West, Cuba, and Port Canaveral

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    The difference between grants and loan forgiveness is grants only go to low income people.
    I got some grants in undergrad for being low income. But they were a drop in the bucket compared to the overall cost of tuition.

Loan forgiveness programs can benefit people whose compensation packages exceed the national median.
    I am doing public service for ten years. The more money I make the more money I have to pay monthly. So every raise I get means higher payments. And my raises are 3% or less or nothing.

You act like doing public service for ten years is all sunshine and rainbows. You act like the loans are just forgiven outright.

So the effects can be a reverse Robin Hood, taking from the poor (like minimum wage workers) to give to those (like UL) who are better off than them.
    How much do minimum wage earners pay in taxes?

The real solution is to make tuition affordable, not have the taxpayers indirectly subsidize via loan forgiveness a system with out of control spending and inflation. When you inject the government without tying subsidies to cost containment you make the problem worse.
    Hmmmm... How could we make college more affordable? Perhaps through taxes...

I would also support equal benefits for everyone such as free community college for everyone.
    How could community college be made free. Do tell! I cannot wait for your ingenious plan!

The average American has been to 3 nations. 29% of US citizens have never been out of the country.
    That is in many cases a personal choice not indicative of money to do so.

Do people ever turn down benefits they are entitled to for the common good?

Yes they do.
    Do you?

Yppej
    I did not say the loans were forgiven outright, I said they were subsidized.

Public sector jobs are highly prized, as noted by others, with many applicants per job compared to most of the private sector, and with benefits packages so generous they are threatening to bankrupt places like New Jersey.

Minimum wage earners taxes paid depend on filing status, overtime worked, and other factors.

College can be made more affordable by competition from online schools and by stopping taxpayer subsidies. Would you have taken out $170,000 in loans if you had to pay it all back yourself? You are shielded, the same way people get expensive end of life care when they are terminal and in many cases don't want it, because someone else pays, a third party. Try finding how much a medical procedure will cost you. Wielding the law in hand entitling me to the information I have still had a very hard time finding this out ahead of time. People do not feel the pain of all the extra we pay in either higher education or medical costs compared to other countries.

On community college I refer you to the Bernie Sanders plan.

Yes, I have declined benefits I was eligible for including WIC.

I did not say the loans were forgiven outright, I said they were subsidized.

Public sector jobs are highly prized, as noted by others, with many applicants per job compared to most of the private sector, and with benefits packages so generous they are threatening to bankrupt places like New Jersey.

Minimum wage earners taxes paid depend on filing status, overtime worked, and other factors.

College can be made more affordable by competition from online schools and by stopping taxpayer subsidies. Would you have taken out $170,000 in loans if you had to pay it all back yourself? You are shielded, the same way people get expensive end of life care when they are terminal and in many cases don't want it, because someone else pays, a third party. Try finding how much a medical procedure will cost you. Wielding the law in hand entitling me to the information I have still had a very hard time finding this out ahead of time. People do not feel the pain of all the extra we pay in either higher education or medical costs compared to other countries.

On community college I refer you to the Bernie Sanders plan.

Yes, I have declined benefits I was eligible for including WIC.
    Not taxing millionaires enough is what is bankrupting states, not public employees having a good salary and excellent benefits.

Yppej
    My city has huge unfunded public employee pension liabilities, and maybe a handful of millionaire next door types. The tycoons who built up the city in the 19th century and their manufacturing jobs are long gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Not taxing millionaires enough is what is bankrupting states, not public employees having a good salary and excellent benefits.
    Wrong. Public employee retirement programs are a hige cost to taxpayers. Huge.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Wrong. Public employee retirement programs are a hige cost to taxpayers. Huge.
    Wrong, yourself. Taxing millionaires would fix the problem. And you know this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Wrong, yourself. Taxing millionaires would fix the problem. And you know this.
    Sweetie, I really do NOT know this. Seriously.

I dont know about state finances and millionaires, but I have seen tax charts that show how much of the US revenue is provided by high income earners. Do you have an idea of that? It is a large amount considering they are tiny in number. Why dont you go find aome charts and present them here, and we can discuss.

We here have been well schooled in the data that refutes “millionaires do not pat their fair share, “ schooled by a tax law professor, but I may be the only one who took the lesson to heart. You may not have been around in those days.

Don't expect the whole population to vote even to tax millionaires for benefits most of them won't see though. Social security not pensions is most people's retirement program (provided they live that long). But if you suggest that if pensions are in crisis the solution is to increase social security so it doesn't matter so much (suggest it even in theory never mind if it will happen) people with insolvent pensions get upset they are not getting special benefits above and beyond what an increased SS would provide that they feel owed from insolvent plans ... Meanwhile everyone else has to live on SS (if they have other savings good but ..).
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information