Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Presidential Address Tonight

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Unlike you, I was appalled at the grandstanding of the new widow of the navy seal.
    Isn't it funny the way different people perceive things? I know that people like Bill Maher and Michael Moore agree with you, but their moral outrage always seems a bit self serving. I was pleasantly surprised to see liberal icon Van Jones' take on the subject, I think he got it right:

"He became president of the United States in that moment, period. There are a lot of people who have a lot of reason to be frustrated with him, to be fearful of him, to be mad of him, but that was one of the most extraordinary moments you have ever seen in American politics, period. And he did something extraordinary."

https://youtu.be/KPhsSqXHRAs
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I can't find too much fault with private companies constructing or maintaining roads and then charging a toll? It might be more more accurate to call this a "user tax". A lot of things in Trumps big scheme will end up increasing the cost of goods and services. The big semi's used for long distance deliveries cause more road damage than a small auto. I could see having them pay more, but either way it's one more expense that will be passed along to the consumer, just like his proposed import taxes or having expensive American labor instead of immigrant or overseas workers desperate for work.

I have always liked the concept of the Civilian Conservation Corps. Back when it gave the unemployed job training and at the same time got a lot of infrastructure work done with inexpensive labor. I doubt that it or anything similar will happen any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Reagan tore down walls.

No, that was the Germans. But he certainly had some advice to offer on the topic. And the viewers-with-alarm of the time called him a reckless warmongering cowboy for such rhetoric.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Isn't it funny the way different people perceive things? I know that people like Bill Maher and Michael Moore agree with you, but their moral outrage always seems a bit self serving. I was pleasantly surprised to see liberal icon Van Jones' take on the subject, I think he got it right:

"He became president of the United States in that moment, period. There are a lot of people who have a lot of reason to be frustrated with him, to be fearful of him, to be mad of him, but that was one of the most extraordinary moments you have ever seen in American politics, period. And he did something extraordinary."

I saw that Van Jones comment and how he feels that moment made him a two-term president. Yes, it was a very moving moment, and Owens' widow deserved the ovation. But was this the only time a President paid public homage to brave Americans? I don't see how that one moment was the Presidential move of the Century.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

"The most extraordinary moments you have ever seen in American politics. And he did something extraordinary"..........well, I suppose it WAS outside the realm of ordinary, but not in a good way. Like I keep saying, he attracted many people who had their own agendas, maybe were short-sighted, couldn't see beyond his rhetoric to appreciate his neuroses and selfishness, were just plain frustrated with Hillary's ilk, etc., etc., etc. That, in no way, means that it was "extraordinary" in a good sense. He's a pied piper of sorts. We'll see how this story ends.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I saw that Van Jones comment and how he feels that moment made him a two-term president. Yes, it was a very moving moment, and Owens' widow deserved the ovation. But was this the only time a President paid public homage to brave Americans? I don't see how that one moment was the Presidential move of the Century.
    Whether you think of it as a moving tribute or crass exploitation, it's really nothing new in the rhetorical playbook. I don't understand why this one instance is especially significant.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I don't understand why this one instance is especially significant.
    I guess it was the two minute ovation given to the widow of a fallen service member by representatives of all three branches of government, well, with the possible exception of the DNC Leaders and a few of the several rows of Democratic women dressed in white to bring attention to women's suffrage by "standing in solidarity with the women of our nation".
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I guess it was the two minute ovation given to the widow of a fallen service member by representatives of all three branches of government, well, with the possible exception of the DNC Leaders and a few of the several rows of Democratic women dressed in white to bring attention to women's suffrage by "standing in solidarity with the women of our nation".
    It was good to see, but inviting various heroes, victims or ideological mascots to these things is hardly unprecedented.

It was so painful to watch and I think the father of the seal had it right by not meeting Trump and being exploited by him. The father has asked for a investigation and I hope he gets one that is truthful. It seems like many people died that day including kids for no useful information.

You are correct... it is funny how different people perceive things. Look up the word grandstanding. That is exactly what Trump was doing. I felt sorry for the widow. This is not what she needed.

Thread Information