Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Cutting down sugar

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    We have to read ingrediants lists, but also know that more and more processed foods are made without the hfcs be ause people are demanding it.
    You're right, but back when I gave it up for Lent, it was fairly soon after Michael Pollan's book, the Omnivore's Dilemma, came out--which was highly influential in bringing public awareness to unhealthy food production practices. So the market hadn't had a chance to catch up. I could not find any bread without it. I had to make everything from scratch. Trust me. I wouldn't have cooked so much if I didn't have to! I agree, that local sources were far less likely to have it.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    My favorite publishing company, Chelsea Green, recently published this book, and I heard the author interviewed on my permaculture podcast. It was interesting.. it's not REALLY a typical permaculture topic, but the interviewer/owner of the podcast experienced great improvement in his health from it, so he figured he'd give the authors a platform.

I'm not there yet--but I certainly am not against fat or for carbs. I'm kind of keto-lite I guess. (messing around with ketones scares me, frankly, but I'm not a doctor or an expert in the digestive system, so what do I know?)
    That looks like a book I would enjoy reading!

Ketosis is frequently confused with ketoacidosis, a dangerous condition people with type 1 diabetes can get with very high blood sugars. You're not likely to get high blood sugars with LCHF--certainly not dangerously high--and if you don't have type 1, ketoacidosis is highly unlikely to occur anyway. I see misinformation spouted regularly in published articles, which has soured me on a lot of mainstream publications. People slip in and out of ketosis regularly, even during sleep. It was likely our natural state when we were hunter gatherers.

Ketogenic diets are known to be therapeutic for a number of conditions from some type of cancers to neurodegenerative diseases to the aging process, but they are considered extreme because it's difficult to stay fat-adapted (using fat for fuel) in a carb-laden culture--which is why I may return to LCHF at some point rather than walk a nutritional tightrope. But it would just be a matter of degree.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    But there are a LOT of prepared foods that do NOT have high fructose syrup, you just have to look for them.

Yesterday i read ingredients on these favorites and things I bought yesterday with no hfcs:

my favorite salsa--a locally produced brand

a locally made bread

A spaghetti sauce I absolutely love, made with cream, made by Hunts

a fabulous low calorie ice cream "Halo top" which has lots of protein as well as, of course! ,sugar-( hey, it is ice cream,) but the source is "organic cane sugar."

I did look at the content of tomaote paste and it is full of hfcs.

We have to read ingrediant lists, but also know that more and more processed foods are made without the hfcs because people are demanding it.
    Reading labels can be eye-opening. I agree that there seems to be a movement toward less sugar/HFCS in processed foods--heaven knows we don't need sugar/HFCS in everything. Is it there, as some suggest, to addict us? Could be, I suppose. It worked for cigarettes, after all.

yes IL, I can find so much more than 5 years ago. There is ketchup and specialized soda and the better quality ice creams. I also get local salsa and breads, sourdough is great and doesn't tend to be sweet. I even see national brands of bread that are advertised with no HFCS. Some desserts I trust like cheesecake, but skip any fruit sauces. I still don't trust when I am eating out in general, however a few places like Garbanzos have soda that I can drink when I am splurging my sugar.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    That looks like a book I would enjoy reading!

Ketogenic diets are known to be therapeutic for a number of conditions from some type of cancers to neurodegenerative diseases to the aging process, but they are considered extreme because it's difficult to stay fat-adapted (using fat for fuel) in a carb-laden culture--which is why I may return to LCHF at some point rather than walk a nutritional tightrope. But it would just be a matter of degree.
    Ketogenic diets are also used sometimes to mitigate epilepsy. And it is very difficult to stay in ketosis.

Williamsmith
    I am studying and implementing some of the material put out there by Dr. Eric Westman of Duke University. He has labeled the "No Sugar, No Starch" diet. This is essentially known as the ketogenic diet. His diet has a famous "page 4" which lists only the foods you can eat. AnyThing else is forbidden.

It does seem true that your ability to lose weight is directly impacted by a strict adherence to the diet and that any slips could sabbotage things temporarily. As an example, a patient reported he was not losing weight on the diet. When he was interviewed in person it was found he was eating from a box of tic tac candies daily. This was plenty of sugar to make the entire attempt at weight loss futile.

It is interesting that anyone who takes diabetes medication and begins this diet, essentially must cut their medication approximately in half and their insulin levels must be monitored diligently. I have already lost 14% of my body weight in nine months and am approaching ideal weight based on many professional recommendations. The challenge now is how to taper off the weight loss as I approach the chosen weight without rebounding by falling back into the unhealthy eating patterns.

It is almost like crossing a stream that is strewn with moss covered rocks. It is possible to get to the other side without getting wet.....but one has to be very deliberate and careful. The grocery is filled with poor choices. Yesterday I did find a cranberry juice with no sugar that tasted good enough to use at breakfast. Fruit juices seems to be no better than drinking Coke or Pepsi for breakfast.

Yes--diabetics and people with high blood pressure find they have to cut their medication pretty much immediately--or risk falling in a heap, in the case of hypertensives.

I find it fascinating that people who are just fine with endless prescriptions bad-mouth therapeutic diets--which can actually reverse many conditions those endless prescriptions are addressing. IMO, finding the cause of one's condition and fixing it is always superior.

Dr. Westman studied with the much-reviled Dr. Atkins, I believe, who's finally being vindicated. Other enthusiastic supporters of ketogenic diets include Dr. Gary Fettke, and Dr. Tim Noakes, who have both been hauled up in front of "authorities" to prove their cases. But many others are coming forward to address the sad state of nutritional dogma, so I hope the tide has started to turn.

" .. First they ignore you. Then they ridicule you. And then they attack you and want to burn you. And then they build monuments to you." ...--1914 speech by Nicholas Klein, union leader

I applaud your progress; I'm lucky to shed a pound a month. But I am old, and stubborn, so I will persevere.

If anyone needs inspiration, there are a bunch of documentaries out --That Sugar Film, and Fed Up come to mind. Some are better than others, and I can't remember which ones stood out. I've always liked Tom Naughton's Fat Head.

Yes, fruit juice is marginally better than Coke, and worse than sugar free Coke when you consider sugar content. Fruit is highly over-rated, micronutrient wise.

Yppej
    I have realized getting Friday lunch delivered with the group at work is not a good idea. Even salads come with dressings that I suspect have sugar in them. At home I make my own with lemon juice and olive oil. A dry salad is not to my liking. Any food prepared commercially by others is probably not good.

My last healthy diet book was "How Not to Die". I have been sort of closely following his vegan diet recommendations, however I don't think that he correctly or completely covered diets high in processed foods and how they relate to the glycemic indices. It is something I could improve upon. It's not just sugar, but the close relatives that include white flour. For me it gets confusing when you talk low sugar and how that may or may not include the starches in things like whole wheat or whole grain breads and pastas or the starches in legumes which are one of my main sources of protein. I also wonder if the differences in fruits and fructose and how they compare to plain cane sugar. And I've yet to be convinced that HFCS is any worse than cane sugar, or fructose for that matter.

Fructose--unlike sucrose--is metabolized directly in the liver, and can lead to non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.
    http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/diff...tose-8704.html

Thread Information