Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fat Acceptance/Fat Pride Movement

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    My grandfathers and my great grandfather were obese.

It drove them all to an early grave, each in their mid-to-late-90s.
    How long could they have lived if they were healthy weights?

I have a couple follow-up questions as this discussion has been making me think!

What exactly is "shaming?" I hear the word thrown around often, especially among lefties.
    I have even used the term shaming, half in jest and half serious (with my half-cocked knowledge of what it means).

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I have a couple follow-up questions as this discussion has been making me think!

What exactly is "shaming?" I hear the word thrown around often, especially among lefties.
    I have even used the term shaming, half in jest and half serious (with my half-cocked knowledge of what it means).
    Oh come now, you dont k ow what “shaming” is?

It is pointing out, in a public way, behavior or existences that do not fit with the pointer’s idea of right.

How long could they have lived if they were healthy weights?
    Statistically, about 17 minutes more.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    It is pointing out, in a public way, behavior or existences that do not fit with the pointer’s idea of right.
    Here is the thing that I don't quite get. Well, maybe it is more than one thing.

1. If someone is confident, then why do they care if someone is "shaming" them? Why insist that the shamer stop shaming?

2. Perhaps shame is something we ought to feel, like guilt, sorrow, anger, happiness, etc.? We should feel these things at times. When I was kid my little sister had this colorful pencil she really liked. She ticked me off one day and I grabbed it and snapped it into pieces and splinters. To this day I am ashamed of my actions. If you "shame" me for this, I'd say: "Yeah, it is shameful." Because it is.

Here is the thing that I don't quite get. Well, maybe it is more than one thing.

1. If someone is confident, then why do they care if someone is "shaming" them? Why insist that the shamer stop shaming?
    Because civility is the balm that allows our planet's apex predator to live together in high densities without too much bloodshed.

Yppej
    They may remember how hard it was before they developed self-confidence and be looking out for other heavy individuals who don't have that pride yet, and may be suffering psychologically from the negative views of their body size in the culture at large.

So what qualifies as shaming?

If a slim and trim gal points at a a big gal a few steps away from her on the sidewalk and says: "You are a fatty!" would that be shaming?

If a guy is having a conversation with friends and acquaintances says "I am not attracted to fat women; they disgust me" is he shaming big gals?

Suppose a personal trainer, a ripped fitness guru type tells a group of trainees that being fat is unhealthy and makes them less attractive by most folks' standards, is that shaming?

I ask these questions sincerely. Keep in mind that I am on the fat side of life and that my significant other is plus-size.

2. Perhaps shame is something we ought to feel, like guilt, sorrow, anger, happiness, etc.? We should feel these things at times. When I was kid my little sister had this colorful pencil she really liked. She ticked me off one day and I grabbed it and snapped it into pieces and splinters. To this day I am ashamed of my actions. If you "shame" me for this, I'd say: "Yeah, it is shameful." Because it is.
    ok but being fat is the dumbest thing ever in history to feel ashamed about. But the problem is the people who most should be ashamed aren't ever going to be: it's called sociopathy. While people doing nothing much to be ashamed of, will.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    ok but being fat is the dumbest thing ever in history to feel ashamed about. But the problem is the people who most should be ashamed aren't ever going to be: it's called sociopathy. While people doing nothing much to be ashamed of, will.
    Not sure I follow. Please explain...

Thread Information