Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Autumnal Equinox

Yppej
    Contacted one friend yesterday with my new number and agreed we will get together for lunch on my week off - so added a fun thing to do to that list. One business and one friend to go, then I will be done with the notifications. Still need to get to the dealer and have them show me how to use the Bluetooth in the car.

How is everyone else doing?

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Yppej I’m jealous that you actually have forsythia. Many years ago (like 30) I worked at a non-profit that regularly had volunteers come in to do random things, stuffing envelopes for mailings, etc. One spring day this sweet older couple that I loved and who often volunteered came in and I asked how they were. The wife GUSHED about how beautiful the forsythia in the median of i-78 were that morning. I’d had no idea what forsythia were but once I learned I agreed that when they are in full bloom they are quite charming. I’m sure this is partly because of this random happy remembrance from my young adulthood but I would love to have forsythia. I assume that they aren’t really a natural for California since the climate here is not at all like NJ, where I lived at the time, (or MA for that matter).
    My house in NJ had forsythia bordering the property and it was amazing in the spring every year. There are two camps of forsythia owners/cultivators--the kind who make little balls out of the bushes and the kind that lets them go wild in the spring. I'm the latter kind. Forsythia are announcing spring is here! Go big on that!!

As I have probably posted before, I was sad to know there is a third type of forsythia person, exemplified by my next door neighbor who destroyed my bushes by literally cutting off ALL the branches on his side of our property line. Needless to say, my son had to remove them all at that point.

Just before DH and I were ready to return home to VT after visiting in NJ for GS birthday party last May, as a last minute gesture, my son dug up a few little sprigs of forsythia from the other border of our property and stuck the little root balls in a container. We transplanted them up here and they are taking off! I'm so excited. I love forsythia, plus they remind me of my life in NJ every time I look at them. I'm looking forward to what they do next spring.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I have a forsythia hedge on one edge of the lawn. I like them because they require next to no maintenance but look nice most of the year.

Catherine that’s great that you can take cuttings of your forsythia from your New Jersey house! I’m sure they will increase and grow.

I’ve been thinking about the very few plants that were on our property here in St. Louis city when we bought this property. There was a rosebush and a peony, pretty much it.

The rosebush died out many decades ago but the peony is still going strong.I have divided it many times and will take a couple of those plants to Hermann Of course I’m taking tons of iris and lilies that I have planted here and others. I’m most worried about a Princess Diana clematis that grows like gangbusters in St. Louis and I need to find a good place for it in Hermann because it is darling.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I’ve been thinking about the very few plants that were on our property here in St. Louis city when we bought this property. There was a rosebush and a peony, pretty much it.
    Shortly after we moved here (decades ago!), I planted a little raspberry bush/vine. It took FOREVER to grow, let alone produce anything. Then it slowly started producing but the birds got before we did. The last 3 years we managed to get about a bowl of berries - even after sharing with the local wildlife - lol. As it was going dormant for the winter last year, dh mowed it down.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Yppej
    Finished contacting people with my new number. Went to the dealership and they set up my Bluetooth. I did not realize I needed my charger to use the phone for GPS and didn't have it with me so I still need to learn that.

Started on fun things on my vacation by going hiking.

Yppej
    Did another fun thing by going kayaking, my first time ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Did another fun thing by going kayaking, my first time ever.
    Cool!

Yppej
    The plumber came and at the moment has gone to get parts. Inside the box of one of the faucets we found my son's debit card. It's like he is trying to have things stolen so I will feel bad and won't have tradespeople over to the house as this makes him anxious.

DS did not buy the faucet, it was given to me. So it's not like he put it in there when leaving the store and forgot about it. The other faucet has missing parts but possibly came that way as it also was given to me. So I won't say it was sabotaged as IDK.

Yppej
    The plumbing is done and for fun I went to the movies. Today is the eye doctor. They called me yesterday and confirmed.

Thread Information