Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suicide rates are up 30 percent since 1999, CDC says

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    20% are unemployed. Well unemployment in linked to 1 in 5 suicides worldwide. (of course some number, though I don't know what, are probably linked to horrible job conditions too - cheery thoughts here )

1 in 5 suicides worldwide caused by unemployment:
    http://zeenews.india.com/news/sci-te...y_1544827.html

I was thinking depression is no one thing either, I mean even leaving out things that aren't depression AT ALL like time-limited grief (and yet when my dad died the fantasies of joining him were there). There is just chronic dysthymia which is mostly grumpiness, and there is severe depression, there is depression with no discernible cause in one's circumstances and I've definitely seen people claim their lives are great and yet they have serious biological depression, and depression very much directly caused by circumstances whatever else also plays in, and everything in between.

And as for suicides there are a few that are really euthanasia due to chronic and fatal physical disease, Robin William's probably was, and these probably really shouldn't be lumped in (they are neither "mental health" nor social problems but an age old problem known as "dying"), but I don't think these are counted differently.
    Robin Williams' suicide was perfectly understandable to me: Lewy body dementia is a terrible illness. You can add people who are going bankrupt due to medical expenses, people with unmanageable pain, people with all kinds of medical-related issues to the mix.
    Last edited by JaneV2.0; 6-8-18 at 4:16pm.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    . There is just chronic dysthymia which is mostly grumpiness, and there is severe depression, there is depression with no discernible cause in one's circumstances and I've definitely seen people claim their lives are great and yet they have serious biological depression, and depression very much directly caused by circumstances whatever else also plays in, and everything in between.
    My depression fluctuates, the treatment is better since we discovered bipolar II. However the depressive part of it are just not easily treatable. I honestly think that my best bet is ongoing talk therapy so I don't lose too many friends in the process. I already have regular meditation practice and a few supports.

It is important to note that the times when someone is most at risk for suicide is when the depression is starting to lift. That is when you are feeling better but not that hopeful yet, so the fear of going back into the black hole is powerful. I am just speaking from my own experience, however I have not been seriously suicidal.

They said with robin Williams that it is likely his disease was causing him to hallucinate so probably not aware he was killing himself

The CDC analysis of suicide in 2016 points to increasing suicide rates in 49 of the 50 states. The state with the smallest increase over 2015 was Delaware (up 6%), and North Dakota increased 57%.

There are 3 major causes of death increasing in incidence nationally: suicide, Alzheimer's, and drug overdose.

The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention website states that in 2016 firearms were involved in 51% of all suicides. Due to the stigma surrounding suicide, it is likely that some firearm suicides may have been regarded as hunting accidents or accidental discharges of some other type.

http://afsp.org

Suicide is, and has for a long time been, a primarily white male issue.

Broken humans are one of the things I ruminate about. Why are so many people so unhappy? Is it really that hard to be a human? It drives me nuts when a parent commits suicide and leaves that legacy for their child(ren).

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    Broken humans are one of the things I ruminate about. Why are so many people so unhappy? Is it really that hard to be a human? It drives me nuts when a parent commits suicide and leaves that legacy for their child(ren).
    Kate Spade left her kid plenty of cash, en loco parentis. Still it is horrible for the kid. But it is also a testament as to how depressed Kate Spade was if she committed suicide while she had a kid at home still.

I personally think that people should do everything they can to wait until they launch their kids before taking the 357 retirement plan.

Adult kids are traumatized too. Once you have kids you have lost that choice if you ask me.

And supposedly the note she left said something like "it is not your fault. Ask your Dad." What an awful thing to leave. The mental illness overcame any love she might have had for her daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Adult kids are traumatized too. Once you have kids you have lost that choice if you ask me.
    All sorts of things is life are traumatic. And I agree we should lessen them. But I also think we ought to be enlightened enough as adults to be like: "The were not enjoying life, they were miserable. It is for the best that they were able to end their own suffering."

One of my closest friends committed suicide a couple years back. I miss him, but I don't fault him. He did the right thing. I just wish there had been a cleaner, more human way. He used a .45 long colt revolver.

Thread Information