Page 39 of 117 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast

Thread: Impeachment?

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    In the current role the present first lady plays, I find her irrelevant to most all things that matter.
    I would argue that all First Ladies are no more relevant than the Poet Laureate. Unless perhaps they serve a need for malicious gossip.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I would argue that all First Ladies are no more relevant than the Poet Laureate. Unless perhaps they serve a need for malicious gossip.
    Most other recent First Ladies have been leaders in social causes. The first that comes to mind is Lady Bird's beautification America projects. However the Poet Laureate has not held much meaning for me ever since Ted Kooser.

Melania is apparently filling the desire for gossip, though.

Most other recent First Ladies have been leaders in social causes. The first that comes to mind is Lady Bird's beautification America projects. However the Poet Laureate has not held much meaning for me ever since Ted Kooser.

Melania is apparently filling the desire for gossip, though.
    They are just political props, with no more real power than the Princess of Wales.

They are just political props, with no more real power than the Princess of Wales.
    I suppose that will be your belief until there's a First Gentleman.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I suppose that will be your belief until there's a First Gentleman.
    Your supposition is incorrect. There’s no reason a man can’t serve as a political prop with the same useless frivolity as any woman.

Your supposition is incorrect. There’s no reason a man can’t serve as a political prop with the same useless frivolity as any woman.
    First Ladies of the recent past have advocated and spoken up for Beauty, Nature, Health, Literacy, Human Rights--hardly frivolous pursuits. If Melania came out with pole dancing as her platform, I might agree with you, but your opinion that First Ladies have supported their husbands with nothing more than frivolous activity is as demeaning as those old-fashioned, out-of-date, condescending notions about the 50s "little lady in the kitchen."

ETA: https://www.thoughtco.com/top-most-i...-ladies-105458
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

The concept of President Buttigieg might require a new attitude about first "other"? I noticed he is up in the polls and is my current favorite.

The concept of President Buttigieg might require a new attitude about first "other"? I noticed he is up in the polls and is my current favorite.
    "Other"?

Isn't he married? Wouldn't his spouse simply be First Husband?

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    "Other"?

Isn't he married? Wouldn't his spouse simply be First Husband?
    I assume a more fitting title would be first gentleman.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    First Ladies of the recent past have advocated and spoken up for Beauty, Nature, Health, Literacy, Human Rights--hardly frivolous pursuits. If Melania came out with pole dancing as her platform, I might agree with you, but your opinion that First Ladies have supported their husbands with nothing more than frivolous activity is as demeaning as those old-fashioned, out-of-date, condescending notions about the 50s "little lady in the kitchen."
    Once again, you’re imposing attitudes on me to fit some kind of narrative. It’s not a feminist or anti-feminist thing. It is the fact that it’s s psuedo position on the fringes of politics for which the only qualification is to be somebody’s spouse. But the beauty of a pseudo position on the fringes of politics is that it can be filled by virtually anybody of any gender.

It has no more credibility than you or I or anyone else in support of any given issue. If people wish to honor the pretense that they are in some way important, I guess that’s just show biz.

Thread Information