Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Protesting is so good for the soul.....

We no longer have direct service from St. Louis to any place in Europe, but if United was providing it, I would most definitely use it.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lily View Post
    We no longer have direct service from St. Louis to any place in Europe, but if United was providing it, I would most definitely use it.
    Such is your choice and your right, IL, and I'm not disrespecting that here. For myself, however, I would not be willing to take the risk of a flight with United Airlines. I'd much rather fly a foreign carrier for saner service and more generosity with food and drink, as I experienced with British Airways in Economy two years ago on the direct Phoenix to Heathrow flight they offer. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    ......I asked for a Coke once and was given one quickly and with no attitude whatsoever.

From this I learned one lesson: If you can pull off flying a foreign carrier to fly from point A to point B, by all means do so. To do so is a vote against the US Airline industry.......
    Coke is an American brand, being true to your principles you should have asked for Explosade (a UK sort of equivalent).
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Coke is an American brand, being true to your principles you should have asked for Explosade (a UK sort of equivalent).
    They only had US brands of soft drinks to offer, Alan, otherwise I would have chosen something foreign. Rob

I'm going to display some class by ignoring your snark and answering this question seriously.

Living in the 85006, I have more of a connection to the airport and the airline industry than you would think. The airport in Phoenix is but a ten minute cab ride away from my house, given that I live right around the corner from an on ramp to State Route 51, which allows rapid access to the airport from the 85006. Given that my neighborhood overall is struggling and lower income, many folks here work lower end positions in food and beverage or janitorial at the airport, or for Swissport (international company that airlines contract to to have basic cleaning/food prep tasks done). The airport is one of the biggest employers in the 85006, and though I don't work for the airport, I often hear airport drama from stopping and talking to my neighbors - often over a free shot of El Presidente from some of the cooler neighbors.

My point is that a malevolent (sp?) airline such as United that negatively impacts Sky Harbour International Airport is a cause of concern in the 85006 and you'd better believe people here know all about it. Please don't make the often committed middle class and above mistake of believing folks of the lower classes are uniformed - this is often not the case in my experience - probably the average Joe or Jane in the 85006 knows more about the United Airlines fiasco that the average Joe or Jane in the 85016 (85016 being a neighboring higher income zip code) - this has nothing to do with intelligence but rather with economic survival, as the airport is a large employer in this zip code as I've already stated. Rob
    So your really protesting 85006 people having jobs? The flying public, not buying tickets on United will effect united and then by default their employee's. So by joining this protest, it would seem you are doing what your worried about.
    Your the only one bringing insults to intelligence in this conversation. I never said anything like that, and am simply trying to understand your thought process.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    So your really protesting 85006 people having jobs? The flying public, not buying tickets on United will effect united and then by default their employee's. So by joining this protest, it would seem you are doing what your worried about.
    Your the only one bringing insults to intelligence in this conversation. I never said anything like that, and am simply trying to understand your thought process.
    Your comment as to whether I fly between airports in my zip code? Seriously, no snark or antagonism here - how would you take such a comment if it were directed towards you? In my case, give me some credit please, though I did call you out on the snark (and i will admit that i did so), I then continued to answer your question seriously.

My take is that this is a very serious issue - is snark appropriate here period? I can see that there will be some here who are not going to agree with me, and that's certainly your right. Granted. Just as I enjoy the right of not agreeing with you. Fair enough. That said, is snark appropriate in the case of this 69 year old Chinese physician's basic human rights being violated in the name of turbo charged capitalism running amok? My vote is a resounding NO, and my actions since this unfortunate event have shown my disgust and contempt for the inexcusable behavior of this unacceptable brand. At least words and actions match in my case - and this was not meant as a comment against you, Too Much Stuff, but as a comment against politicians in general and also against the CEO of United Airlines. Rob

PS I came back to add - I believe myself and other other protesters deserve a little credit, if for no other reason, we are doing whatever little we can to retaliate against United Airlines by trying via legal means to lower their share price - the only language those in power at any corporation can possibly understand, given how capitalism is set up these days. At least we are doing something.....what are you and or others doing in the name of human rights against the United Airlines brand?

Certainly the evil of United Airlines is no match for what took place during the Holocaust. Granted. At this point I will make two comments, however. A. I did not pull a Sean Spicer and ever compare United Airlines in any way to anything that took place during this unfortunate period of world history (nor would i ever given being one generation away from the Austrian homeland), and B. What United Airlines actions did to the 69 year old physician involved is truly pure evil and I don't see calling this for what it is a laying it on thick in the slightest. If anything I'm being too nice and mild, but such befits my role here as a moderator and I have to keep the language in check to some degree. As I said above, certainly the actions of United Airlines are not match for the evil of the Holocaust.....that does not make these actions less than evil in their own right, however. Rob
    Was that United who ejected the guy so unceremoniously, or Chicago Department of Aviation cops? If you're looking for someone to label "truly pure evil" as the object of a cathartic protest session, would't your main grievance be with them?

And when we choose to call such incidents "pure evil", don't we cheapen the term for when it is legitimately called for? Do a few incompetent airline and municipal functionaries really equate to ISIS or the Khymer Rouge? Aren't you "attributing to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"?

Humor.

As stated, I do not see your logic, only the funny in this.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Humor.

As stated, I do not see your logic, only the funny in this.
    Please accept my assurance that there is no humour in this situation in the 85006, there is no humour here for Dr. Dao, and there is currently no humour for the United Airlines brand given the PR nightmare they face that will not go away, and given the huge multi-million dollar lawsuit settlement they will have to pay out given their basic lack of concern for basic human rights and basic human dignity. If Dr. Dao is smart he will refuse a gag order on his settlement, thereby inspiring others to sue airlines to end these abusive practices and to bring the CEO's and their boards back to accountability and an overall sense of slight fear and awe of those they are supposed to serve. Rob

Thread Information