Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: CNN: "The biggest terror threat in this country is white men"

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    It seems domestic terrorism is a pale, male problem with a few exceptions.
    If this is your observation, what would you suggest be done about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Okay, but you know Elliot Rodgers was not white, right? And neither was Alek Minassian, that crazy incel that killed people in Toronto. Both of them had Autism/Aspergers too, which is probably worth noting.

The guy who shot up the yoga studio was white though.

That is why I am not sure your comment really fits what you have already said on this thread. Or are you now saying that domestic terrorism is a multi-ethic problem?
    I suspect both men identified as white--they certainly weren't easily identifiable as ethnic minorities. I don't see domestic terrorism as a minority problem. YMMV. I don't remember Rodgers being diagnosed on the spectrum--but given his social awkwardness, it's possible.

Here is something interesting to ponder too, on this topic.

According to the 2010 census white Americans, excluding Hispanics, totaled 197,285,202 people. This is about 60 percent of the population.

So white, non-hispanic males number 98,642,601, about 30 percent of the total US population.

According to the census bureau there are about 1,500,000 Arab Americans. That is less than 1 percent of the American population. As a ballpark guess that would mean there are about 750,000 Arab American men in the US.

So could the "pale, male" problem actually be one of sheer numbers? There are millions and millions more white males than Arab males. So the total number of those white males that do crazy stuff would be higher than than total number of Arab males that do crazy stuff simply because there are so many more of the white males. Substitute black males or Native American males or Asian American males for Arab in the above questions and you still have a similar premise.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I suspect both men identified as white--they certainly weren't easily identifiable as ethnic minorities.
    You are taking some real liberties there. And you are not substantiating your claim that they identified as white. How did most people identify them?

Also, when I saw their pictures I knew they were not white. Elliot looks Asian and Alek looks Middle Eastern.

I don't see domestic terrorism as a minority problem.
    Okay... that is your opinion. Different people "see" things all sorts of ways.

I don't remember Rodgers being diagnosed on the spectrum--but given his social awkwardness, it's possible.
    The first article I pulled up on Google said that. You apparently did not read much on him.

But what really stuns me about your claims above is how they are complete opinion. Yet you believe what you think wholeheartedly and without any doubt. That strikes me as a peculiar kind of narcissism. You said it. So it is completely beyond question. Wow.

I know of an Orange Dude who has that same peculiar kind of narcissism.

I always thought of terrorism as violence with the purpose of frightening people into compliance with a political agenda. Driving the Jewish population out of Israel, for instance, or the British out of Ireland.

Is violence inspired by sexual frustration really terrorism, or just an expression of insanity?

I think the purpose of terrorism is to instill fear in a population you despise or are trying to oppress--like the KKK and their lynchings. Politics can be part of that, or not.

I think the purpose of terrorism is to instill fear in a population you despise or are trying to oppress--like the KKK and their lynchings. Politics can be part of that, or not.
    So by that measure, would criminal gangs committing acts of violence to discourage informants or territorial interlopers be considered terrorists?

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    So by that measure, would criminal gangs committing acts of violence to discourage informants or territorial interlopers be considered terrorists?
    I think that's solidly in the camp of criminal enterprise--there's clearly some overlap.

I think that's solidly in the camp of criminal enterprise--there's clearly some overlap.
    I guess I’m not seeing why an incel rampage counts as terrorism but a gangland skirmish would not. Neither would seem to be aimed at some purpose of oppression or influence.

Jane:

Convenient you did not address or even mention my numerical questions above. LMAO!
    Typical Jane. Can't even consider new information and weigh in new facts.

Part of being a grown-up is being willing to consider new info and possibly update your previously held beliefs. Are you capable of doing this?

Thread Information