Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: November Frugals!

I just renewed my AAA and have the highest level one, can't remember the name. I saw that I get one 200 mile tow for that and maybe three 100 mile tows?

We used a 100 mile one when my husband's car conked out downstate when we lived in Northern Michigan. It was a lifesaver, as he was driving back from Maine, and it would have been a multi-hour drive for me, and they towed him home safe and sound.

We have old cars and always seem to use it enough to pay for the service each year.

Yppej
    Needed black boots and found a pair for $19.98. Things are so much cheaper when you don't care about name brands.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Needed black boots and found a pair for $19.98. Things are so much cheaper when you don't care about name brands.
    That's a nice score if they are comfortable, high-quality boots that will last.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    That's a nice score if they are comfortable, high-quality boots that will last.
    I don't know how durable they are but they are comfortable. They had other styles for $37.99 that didn't look any better to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I don't know how durable they are but they are comfortable. They had other styles for $37.99 that didn't look any better to me.
    Only time will tell! My favorite and most durable gardening gloves are the $3.00 ones from OSJL, so price and quality aren't always correlated.

Yppej
    Didn't buy a shed. I left DS a note about it a few months ago that he never responded to. Today he inquired with my DB about it. I said it was something I had promised to get and DB and I picked one out, but then DS cancelled his request. I said fine and let it go.

I remember the lesson I learned from a Forum member here about how insurance companies raise your rates year after year, in somewhat of the opposite of a loyalty incentive. I had changed companies at that time and saved something in the vicinity of $800 per year to insure our house and two cars. Well premiums have been creeping upward since then (I think it was about 4 years ago), so I asked our agent to do some comparison shopping for us. The result is that we're going to save $1131. on our premium for the coming year, and he says we'll save a little bit more if we pay in full, which we will. I call that a nice frugal!

Yppej
    Excellent Rosa.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I remember the lesson I learned from a Forum member here about how insurance companies raise your rates year after year, in somewhat of the opposite of a loyalty incentive. I had changed companies at that time and saved something in the vicinity of $800 per year to insure our house and two cars. Well premiums have been creeping upward since then (I think it was about 4 years ago), so I asked our agent to do some comparison shopping for us. The result is that we're going to save $1131. on our premium for the coming year, and he says we'll save a little bit more if we pay in full, which we will. I call that a nice frugal!
    I think we are to that point with our insurance, and we’ve been with the same company for 30+ years and absolutely zero claims. Zero.

Our umbrella insurance seems to be very expensive compared to other people, so that was my clue that I need to be looking into cost reductions.

I plan to have a complete review of insurance carriers after we moved Hermann.

WTG, rosa!! Our insurance carrier went through some sort of internal realignment a few years back and we switched around our policies, added an umbrella, and were able to save about 1.5k yearly on our (micro)mini-farm and autos. Prior they had nothing for people with minor bits of livestock or those who leased out pasture but were not commercial farmers so when they added coverage that allowed us to drop our farm/ranch policy it was a HUGE boon. It still irritated me that I had to be the instigator of change, instead of our agent reaching out, but, whatever. It's still savings, and it is still cheaper than other comparable companies. In other frugals, it has been a most UNfrugal month for us, with a few planned repairs (roof repair, new gutters on one house section) and unplanned (new furnace, coming next week). Plus I think we're gonna have another month of double store and lock fees, as over the entire month at least ONE of us has been too crappy feeling to move the big -multi-person needed-stuff. As we postponed our family thanksgiving get-together (at our house, with sick people and quasi-functioning furnace) I raided the freezer yesterday, found some lovely chicken stock, and made us chicken pot-pie for the holiday for almost nothing. Comfort food, yay! Not much of a frugal, but I'm trying, lol.

Thread Information