Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: doe won't leave our backyard - what to do

LOL Pinkytoe.........I was about to tell you to just wait and that she would no doubt leave.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Relocation of deer is rarely a sound plan:
    Perhaps it is rare to relocate deer but it is done. Specifically, in a local municipality near where I live deer have been caught and relocated to avoid property damage and vehicular accidents in town. I guess it is sound plan versus practicality and practicality won.

It was awfully cute to watch the interaction between my Siamese cat and the doe. The doe was very curious; the cat eventually got up the nerve to go up to her and sniff her all over. And then walked backwards slowly to escape this odd creature.

Quote Originally Posted by goldensmom View Post
    Perhaps it is rare to relocate deer but it is done.
    I didn't say it was rare to relocate them. I said it was "rarely a sound plan", and provided a handy pointer to a wildlife management agency's data on the matter. The high mortality rate, disease transmission issues, and lack of receiving sites, combined with the cost make this a poor solution to deer problems.

I'm sure local agencies try this all the time anyways...

At Rondeau Provincial Park near Windsor Ontario within the last ten years, the deer population had reached the point where disease, starvation, etc., and severe damage to the foliage and natural needed growth made the decision to reduce the deer population by a controlled hunt very wise. The last I heard about it, the decision was a good one with positive evaluations.
    Is this a possibility on the islands, Bae?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Is this a possibility on the islands, Bae?
    We alas don't have the governmental infrastructure/budget to do so in any formal organized fashion. And given the terrain here, it would be a tricky business.

The State folks have been very good about issuing special permits to landowners for dealing with depredation. Our air field, for instance, is surrounded by a lot of very expensive deer fencing, yet the deer get through and stuck inside-the-fence. At that point, we harvest them under the permit the Port has and the resultant food goes to hungry people.

But basically we rely on a boring population boom-disease-bust cycle for the deer. It looks pretty bad at the top of each cycle - zillions of very skinny deer.

Hunting is a good thing for all involved. And healthier/happier for all involved than raising cattle in feedlots.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I didn't say it was rare to relocate them. I said it was "rarely a sound plan", and provided a handy pointer to a wildlife management agency's data on the matter. The high mortality rate, disease transmission issues, and lack of receiving sites, combined with the cost make this a poor solution to deer problems.

I'm sure local agencies try this all the time anyways...
    Okay. I am far from being an expert, just a farm girl passing along information from what I've seen as a solution hoping it might be helpful.

Thread Information