Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you use natural body care products?

Smile Do you use natural body care products?

Just wondering how many here use natural body care products, what they are and the results you feel you get with them?

I just started using Dr. Bronner's tea tree oil soap made with different oils. So far my skin has been very soft and no new breakouts on my face.

Use Tom's Of Maine for toothpaste and deodorant. The toothpaste seems great some of the different varieties of their deodorants don't work so great for me.

I'd like to get away from commercial shampoo but since I color my hair (with a dye from the health food store) I can't rinse the residue with a lemon or vinegar rinse.

For moisturizer on my face I use Clinique oil free - not natural. For body extra virgin olive oil.

What about you?

We use Kiss my Face olive oil soap. For other products, we avoid parabens and many other chemicals. We don't use many products in general -- avoidance is our biggest means of limiting chemical exposure. I am particularly cautious about sunscreen since that is used over a large area and not immediately rinsed off.

Glad to see someone else cautious about sunscreen. It's just too heavy for me and gives me hives.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I make a lot of creams, because the store ones are just too watery for the winter. I use Tom's for toothpaste and Badger for sunscreen. Vanity will kick in from time to time and I'll buy a face lotion with anti oxidants or whatever the latest anti wrinkle stuff is - I am not a purist, but I do pick and choose.

Goats Milk soap from a local farmer lady, my number one product I have used for years now.

I use Natural Dentist kids toothpaste, a bit pricey, but the combination of Xylitol and Flouride and I don't seem to get cavities very often. Also seem to have no SLS that even other natural brands, like Tom's, have which was causing canker sores. They went away when I switched toothpastes.

I use a natural sunscreen (Aubrey organics). I actually was allergic to a LOT of sunscreens including natural brands (and I tried so many), made me face itchy etc. but this seems not to (until they change the formula I guess).

I'd love to use natural shampoo and conditioner as well. I think I may be addicted to silicones though
    Trees don't grow on money

I'm an oddball-- here goes.

Shampoo: vinegar

Body wash/face wash: honey or just water

toothpaste: Vicco tooth powder (indian market; it's an ayurvedic tooth powder. I switched to powder when they put coconut-based SLS into the paste)

mouth wash: oil pulling with coconut oil

body lotion: coconut oil or avocado oil

sunscreen: home made when we use it (which is between 10 am and 3 pm in the summer, between 10 am and 2 pm in winter -- it's essentially coconut oil, bees wax, aloe gel, lavender oil (this works as a short-term preservative, you can make it in batches that last 2-3 weeks), and zinc oxide powder. More oil makes it go on smoothly, less oil and more beeswax makes it thicker. You can even make a "lotion bar" out of it (more beeswax!), which can go on pretty nicely too.

make up: I don't wear any.

Over the past few years I've switched over to mostly natural or more healthy products. Boscia is my favorite skincare line (try a sample of their sunscreen at Sephora--it's great!). KMF olive oil soap in winter and Dr. Bronner's peppermint in summer. Trader Joe's toothpaste or Tom's. Alba Botanicals body lotion (unscented and no parabens). Thayer's witch hazel (alcohol free), olive oil and castor oil, aka "oil cleansing method" to wash my face, and Avalon Organics moisturizers. All of the above, except the Boscia stuff, is available at great prices at Vitacost.com.

I've tried the crystal stick deodorant, Tom's (burned my skin and stunk) and baking soda and all failed. All I use now is coconut oil with baking soda and cornstarch and it's worked better than anything I've ever used in my life. Seriously!! Regular antiperspirant makes me sweat/smell more than ever. The stuff I make feels great going on and prevents odors.

I've used SLS-free shampoos for years but now I'm doing the co-wash thing, where you wash your hair with conditioner. For now I'm using VO-5, which is the cheapest thing out there and I don't think it's tested on animals. The amazing thing I've discovered just last week is that my hair is wavy!!! All my life I had short, pin straight hair. Now that it's long and I'm cowashing, it has waves and curls on the ends. Who knew!!! I'm loving it.

This thread inspired me to try out a new recipe for hand lotion yesterday. The recipe was 2 oz of jojoba oil, 1/2 oz of beeswax and a small hunk of jasmine wax. The jasmine wax was just for scent, and I happened to have some on hand, but if I didn't I would have added a few drops of whatever essential oil I wanted to use. I heat the beewax in a butter warmer (it has a tealight candle underneath it- a tart warmer would work too), warm the oil in the microwave, then combine and add scent. I pour it into a jar and let it harden (doesn't take long, maybe 15 minutes). This is a heavy cream, I likely wouldn't use it on my face other than dry winter months.

Yes, we use Doc Bronner's, Tom's toothpaste, aloe vera gel. Plus there is a great salve for cuts that comes in a stick by Merry Hempsters. It's so good at healing cuts that we call it "magic stick" in our house.

Thread Information