Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "White Athletes Still Standing For The Anthem Are Standing For White Supremacy"

"White Athletes Still Standing For The Anthem Are Standing For White Supremacy"

Sometimes my fellow lefties say some dumb stuff.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...us_contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post

Just sometimes?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Williamsmith
    I'd like to ask Jesse, "So what were the black players who did not kneel Sunday, standing for?"

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post

Dumb stuff? I don't think so. An arguable fact, more likely.
    I wish you'd quit with this "fellow lefty" stuff, or is that just a conceit for the sake of argument? Tiresome, anyway.

To the true zealot, "you're either with us or against us" and it's easy to believe someone displaying respect for the flag is obviously a racist. What other possible explanation could there be?

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    To the true zealot, "you're either with us or against us" and it's easy to believe someone displaying respect for the flag is obviously a racist. What other possible explanation could there be?
    Is the deal with the "racist" name calling that if someone slings "racist" at you first, they are not racist themselves? It honestly seems like a game of one upmanship..

I am trying to figure it out, the constant racist name calling.

I prefer the theory that we live in a racist society and have varying internalized thoughts that are racist, but it is our duty as citizens to examine those thoughts and accompanying actions, and change our thoughts and actions if they are truly harmful.

see, that is the problem: no one owns the definition of "racist" no one person gets to determine who are "racists." Certainly I would agree that some words and actions are "racist" but the person performing them a "racist?."

Does one racist thought make someone a racist? It seems so, based on what I see on my internet travels.

Good thoughts Iris. I struggle with having a line. Cross it and you are OFF MY LIST of acquaintances because I get so angry I don't want to be around that kind of thinking and yet the person has other quite kind and caring traits...just this spouting of blame and hate. So, I have cut out some people from my life and am not sorry, but others I can overlook or understand. I guess it has to do with how close the person was to me to start with.

The part of the article that was most worthwhile was the listing of areas that still need work. The author took a provocative stance, but made several good points once he got the reader's attention.

Iris Lily's theory is solid, as far as I'm concerned.
    I prefer the theory that we live in a racist society and have varying internalized thoughts that are racist, but it is our duty as citizens to examine those thoughts and accompanying actions, and change our thoughts and actions if they are truly harmful.

Well, if one can decide people kneeling are doing it just to disrespect flag and the anthem, I would think others can decide other people are standing just to support white supremacy.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Is the deal with the "racist" name calling that if someone slings "racist" at you first, they are not racist themselves? It honestly seems like a game of one upmanship..

I am trying to figure it out, the constant racist name calling.
    I think there are any number of explanations:

I think you're right that we all harbor some degree of prejudiced thoughts and impulses. In some cases, crying "racist" may be a way of dealing with one's own secret guilt.

Some people have the honest, genuinely held belief that true justice can operate at the wholesale as well as the retail level.

It may be as simple and frivolous as virtue-signalling.

It may be a way to exercise a certain kind of power. A sort of shaming technique to avoid engaging opposing ideas, vis. the "wear the ribbon" episode of Seinfeld.

Like many forms of insult and accusation, it is weakened by overuse.

Thread Information