Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Seriously, 45 has the intelligence of maybe a 12 year old-and not a very bright one

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Your vote mattered in California, mine mattered in Ohio. California delivered 20% of the electoral votes Clinton needed to win the election while Ohio delivered 6% of the electoral votes she needed to lose. California's out-sized influence dwarfed Ohio's and she still lost, maybe she should have paid more attention to the smaller states.
    sure, everyone's vote matters. Even wyomingans' votes matter. Seven times more than mine in fact. But my point is that she wasn't at all concerned about the needs of California voters. Nor was trump. Because both knew how Election Day was going to turn out here so they could both safely ignore the most populous state in the nation. And the second most populous. And the third.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    sure, everyone's vote matters. Even wyomingans' votes matter. Seven times more than mine in fact. But my point is that she wasn't at all concerned about the needs of California voters. Nor was trump. Because both knew how Election Day was going to turn out here so they could both safely ignore the most populous state in the nation. And the second most populous. And the third.
    Maybe if California were a bit more politically diverse.....
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Maybe if California were a bit more politically diverse.....
    We're diverse, just not equally distributed. What if Wyoming was the only state that was up for grabs and the candidates all put all their efforts into wooing the 20%, or whatever, of undecided Wyoming residents to the exclusion of everyone in every other state?

We're diverse, just not equally distributed. What if Wyoming was the only state that was up for grabs and the candidates all put all their efforts into wooing the 20%, or whatever, of undecided Wyoming residents to the exclusion of everyone in every other state?
    If 80% were already decided, where's the payoff in wooing them?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

If 80% were already decided, where's the payoff in wooing them?
    If the other states were all lopsided either red or blue in amounts that were each half of the EC and the election would be decided by the 3 WY electoral votes the incentive would be to figure out how to win over those 120,000 undecided WY voters to the exclusion of every other voter in the country. Obviously this would be an extreme situation, but I don't see any difference from what we have now except for the degree of what currently happens.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I doubt you would find Mike Pence or Paul Ryan any more appetizing.
    I wouldn't - you are right. But at least both Pence and Ryan know how to behave in public and would not cause more needless daily drama and embarrassment as Trump does, plus both would know how to behave with world leaders. It's a little bit of an improvement but certainly not anything I would be happy about/not live in fear of. Rob

If the other states were all lopsided either red or blue in amounts that were each half of the EC and the election would be decided by the 3 WY electoral votes the incentive would be to figure out how to win over those 120,000 undecided WY voters to the exclusion of every other voter in the country. Obviously this would be an extreme situation, but I don't see any difference from what we have now except for the degree of what currently happens.
    But if a State has already made up its statistical mind, what is really gained from the attention of a candidate? For either the State or the candidate?

I have just lived through the opposite scenario in one of those Midwestern swing states that Trump won by a whisker. Clinton was later criticized for not spending enough time here. If that's why she lost my state, its probably not so much about undecideds she failed to convert as the unexcited Democrats who didn't show up at the polls. Her bright young things in Brooklyn had apparently run the numbers and thought her time was better spent elsewhere.

Personally, I think I would have liked the peace and quiet of living in a state everybody takes for granted. Let them pester Wyoming next time.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    I wouldn't - you are right. But at least both Pence and Ryan know how to behave in public and would not cause more needless daily drama and embarrassment as Trump does, plus both would know how to behave with world leaders. It's a little bit of an improvement but certainly not anything I would be happy about/not live in fear of. Rob
    Normally, I would say who cares what the Austrians or the Dutch or any other ankle-biting little country who only exist because we've kept the Russians from devouring them for the last seventy years think. Geopolitics isn't a middle school cafeteria. But Trump is becoming an exception to that rule for me. Possibly betraying intelligence sources so you can look like a big man in front of some dictator's factotum is pretty extreme. At some point important allies will stop working with us.

Normally, I would say who cares what the Austrians or the Dutch or any other ankle-biting little country who only exist because we've kept the Russians from devouring them for the last seventy years think. Geopolitics isn't a middle school cafeteria. But Trump is becoming an exception to that rule for me. Possibly betraying intelligence sources so you can look like a big man in front of some dictator's factotum is pretty extreme. At some point important allies will stop working with us.
    It's kind of like having a spouse who regularly gets drunk, pees himself, and makes a crude pass at your best friend. No one wants to be humiliated in public. And certainly his actions are becoming a threat to more than the daily functioning of our government--though that would be bad enough.

I agree with gimmethesimplelife--Pence and Ryan are odious creatures, but at least they have a basic grasp of how government works, and probably wouldn't pee themselves in public.

But if a State has already made up its statistical mind, what is really gained from the attention of a candidate? For either the State or the candidate?

Personally, I think I would have liked the peace and quiet of living in a state everybody takes for granted. Let them pester Wyoming next time.
    But if it were not for the EC then a state having it's statistical mind made up wouldn't matter. Every undecided in every state would.

And I agree somewhat with your last statement. Our campaigns are waaaaaaay too long. I mean, jeeeez, Trump is already holding campaign events for 2020, ignoring the fact that the oddsmakers have him at 60% likelihood of impeachment. And that was before it came to light that he's giving foreign intelligence secrets to the russians. Surely the odds have gone up.

Thread Information