Thread: blog post: stop wasting your money on fancy experiences

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    YMOYL as I recall, from reading decades ago, was all about deciding what you want out of life and then getting control of your own finances to enable that. A basic concept of "simple living", is to question and be introspective about how to spend your own money. This involves challenging preconceived notions, pressures we get from our surrounding culture and advertising. It is pretty much necessary, in the road toward FI. So the idea of spending scads of money traveling when you are in debt, is worthy of challenge. Personally, I like the idea of having the freedom to travel as long as I want; and working towards FI so one can do that, is to me, a better choice. First things first! There are ways to travel, with much less cost, but it does require some knowledge and bit of risk taking. Actually NOT having a job, and being FI, opens up new possibilities for cheaper and more meaningful travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Packratona! View Post
    YMOYL as I recall, from reading decades ago, was all about deciding what you want out of life and then getting control of your own finances to enable that. A basic concept of "simple living", is to question and be introspective about how to spend your own money. This involves challenging preconceived notions, pressures we get from our surrounding culture and advertising. It is pretty much necessary, in the road toward FI. So the idea of spending scads of money traveling when you are in debt, is worthy of challenge. Personally, I like the idea of having the freedom to travel as long as I want; and working towards FI so one can do that, is to me, a better choice. First things first! There are ways to travel, with much less cost, but it does require some knowledge and bit of risk taking. Actually NOT having a job, and being FI, opens up new possibilities for cheaper and more meaningful travel.

Exactly!

Thread Information