Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you live in a bubble? PBS Demographic quiz...

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I have no idea how the quiz was scored. I suspect it came from growing up in a very poor small town comprised of non-college educated blue collar workers, serving in the military and never watching a full episode of Ellen.
    Have you been to Branson for the entertainment?

45. I'm with Catherine. And eating out. Also my friend Toni quit smoking in January and I don't discuss politics with friends.

interestingly though, I would say I'm third generation middle class - but I would have scored higher if I wasn't such a hermit (which is a bubble I guess)

also interesting is I'm first generation liberal, and it's the things that raised my score that make me lean that way.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Have you been to Branson for the entertainment?
    Nope
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I got 66. There's a reason I don't feel at home in my management job.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    The question about fishing was a surprise.I view that activity as retro-lux along with things like canning food, using a clothesline, etc.
    1. Retro-lux is such a great term! Thanks for turning me on to it. I had never heard of it.

2. Canning food and using a clothesline and gardening and making your own yogurt, etc. are totally retro-lux. In Columbus, OH we have a thriving business called City Folks Farm Shop that sells the stuff for these retro-lux hobbies. And they practically have their own university for teaching people this stuff. I have taken numerous classes with them. No one else is a fisherman. I mention fishing and eyes glaze over. I spend a lot of time fishing, rarely do I see a hipster or a crunchy granola-type. It is mostly billies, old black folks, and Asians -- in many ways Asians dominate the urban fishing environment here. There are three old Cambodian guys who slay the trout, panfish, and catfish. I have spoken to them. I was fishing for catfish with one of them and I hooked a fish, it went into a tangle of tall grass and I had to super-slow-motion fight the fish out of the grass. The guy said, in broken English: "Catfish goes into the weeds and sticks. Makes hard to reel in. We practice fishing and get better. But we must remember fish practice fishing too." But out in the rural areas it is all billies and old black folks.

In my immediate area, you're right, fishing is the hobby of old black folks. In our urban core the city stocks lakes in parks. It is constant tension between race/class here to keep our neighborhood's Swans, purchased with yuppie private funds, away from fishering line and hooks.

But I had just figured that outside of my urban core, fishing was an old fashion hobby, newly popular. I dont know who fishes the
    mississippi and where that takes place even tho I prqctically live on the river.

27 here. I freely admit I'm out of the mainstream, for example only do chain restaurants when forced to (traveling) and don't watch much TV. I've intentionally arranged much of my life to contain the elements I like, and avoid what I can of the elements I don't like.

Swans are a nasty invasive species. Someone should enlighten the yuppies.

rodeosweetheart
    Swans are up here all over on Lake Michigan and I love to watch them. I want to know how they stay alive here all winter and where they nest!

Okay, just checked out this nesting question, as I suspected, in sedges along shore, but they did say the territory for each pair was 6-150 acres and I am seeing them pretty close to each other on the lake.

Thread Information