Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The United States of Masacres.

It can depend on who is telling the story, but this looks credible to me.
    mass_shootings_1982-2018.jpg

"Importantly, the Mother Jones figures define mass shootings as public attacks in which the shooter and victims were generally unknown to each other, and four or more people were killed. Unlike the FBI’s “active shooting incidents,” where gangs and drugs are frequently involved, Mother Jonesexcludes all multiple murders related to drugs, gangs or domestic violence. They do include mass shootings by jihadist terrorists, however, which accounted for only 4 of their 98 incidents by my count.

The Mother Jones writers claim that “A recent analysis of this [Mother Jones] database by researchers at Harvard University, further corroborated by a recent FBI study, determined that mass shootings have been on the rise.”

https://www.cato.org/blog/are-mass-shootings-becoming-more-frequent

My mom’s grandpa came here illegally from Germany. Everyday he got the German newspaper. He was convinced that Hitler was going to be Germany’s savior. When he picked up the paper and saw that Hitler had invaded Poland he had a heart attack and died. Point is to say that we are a long way from then is to ignore what is happening here. It is pretty scary to have to worry about going about your daily business and have to worry if you will be safe. Especially if you belong to one of the targeted groups. I think it’s foolhardy to think it cannot happen here.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Hopefully, the bad guys are killing other bad guys off. Unfortunately, I think a few innocents were involved.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I don't see the relevance. Hate crimes are demonstrably on the rise, flames are fanned by an admitted "nationalist" president, and I guess since the overall crime rate is down, it's of no concern to you. And Mussolini made the trains run on time.

Hate Crimes.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    It is pretty scary to have to worry about going about your daily business and have to worry if you will be safe.
    I think people should worry about things in balance with their likelihood.

Now, I am a friend of Israel and I support religious freedom.

Antisemitism is a disgusting idea.

Worrying all the time about something that happens very rarely is not helpful.

I think we need to do something about all the god damn gun violence in the country. I think it will need to be a multi-pronged approach.

But I also think that calling Cheeto a Nazi is hyperbolic.

Violence against Jewish people is up 57% since 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I don't see the relevance. Hate crimes are demonstrably on the rise, flames are fanned by an admitted "nationalist" president, and I guess since the overall crime rate is down, it's of no concern to you. And Mussolini made the trains run on time.

Hate Crimes.jpg
    You seem to be arguing with somebody other than myself. Enjoy that.

This gives me some hope--Muslims, Iranian-Americans, and others raising money for the massacre victims:
    https://tinyurl.com/ycsuap4e

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Violence against Jewish people is up 57% since 2017.
    If that is true then law enforcement and other public agencies need to step up. I think we also need to publicly discuss the problem of antisemitism.

There's a great Kevin Williamson piece in National Review: "Rage Makes You Stupid". I think it makes us stupid in all kinds of ways, from making you believe various forms of violence are justified by your anger to attributing various acts of violence to the words of people you don't like. From hounding people out of restaurants to hounding people out of careers. People are actually writing articles every Thanksgiving about how to humiliate you're idiot right/left wing relatives at the dinner table.

Given the tragic idiocy of our present epoch, I'm beginning to believe that politics is a dish best served cold.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/...es-you-stupid/

Thread Information