Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Drooling over teardrop trailers

I don’t like it. And it’s too big just for me. I saw that one before.

Tradd, one more consideration. Trailers are like cars. When you drive off the lot, the value drops by 1/4 to 1/3. Once you know what you really want and need, you will be able to watch and ask friends to look for a used one and pay much less. Others will speak knowledgeably to the longevity of such trailers and maintenance involved. One neighbour recently bought a beautiful used self-propelled Zion/Roadtrek unit. He was told by the seller who was an airline mechanic that the wiring was replaced throughout as it was so poorly done originally. His driveway is large enough to store this unit. Most have to pay for storage.

Out of curiosity, I just now looked at https://roadtrek.com/models/#chase and nearly stopped breathing. Who the heck can afford these things? It is cheaper to travel on tours or overseas minus covid.

I typed in 'motorhomes' for fun and found this site https://rv.campingworld.com/rvclass/motorhome-rvs. The world has changed in recreational vehicles a lot.

I will now step quietly out of the discussion. It has been educational as many threads are.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Look at this list of best small campers. I like the Happier Camper and the Armadillo, both at around $20k

https://www.trailerlife.com/top-stor...ping-trailers/
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yes, I was planning on looking for a used one when I have $$ saved up.

That happier camper is so cute- I'd seen the early one that only had the portable potty as one of the interchangeable parts, but hadn't seen this newer camper with a whole bathroom.

But ouch the price (for the Traveler, 50K for base package)- for this much, I'd prefer an Airstream Nest.

I’ve given up on the trailer dream. I live in a small apartment and would have to store it somewhere. To store it within 30 minutes of where I live would be over $100/month.

I also realized that dealing with mechanical stuff is something I hate doing. I was on a Tab owner’s group on FB for perhaps a week. That was enough. Hotel rooms it is!

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    I’ve given up on the trailer dream. I live in a small apartment and would have to store it somewhere. To store it within 30 minutes of where I live would be over $100/month.

I also realized that dealing with mechanical stuff is something I hate doing. I was on a Tab owner’s group on FB for perhaps a week. That was enough. Hotel rooms it is!
    For me, if I had the trailer bug, I could rent one for a trip and probably get over that bug.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    We spend 5-6 months on the road. Last trip was Kissimmee prairie state park, a dark sky and birders paradise. Out of the forty or so campsites here, there are huge rigs down to a young man amateur astronomer sleeping in his car with several huge telescope setups. The young couple next to us were sleeping in the back of their truck with a large screen tent with cooking stuff. We have met full timers in tents. there are some really old campers here people have spruced up. Old casitas are popular. Some people bike and carry everything with them. We like to invite them for coffee and a hot breakfast in the AM if they aren’t heading out. Once, on the Appalachian trail people would hike in to shower and use the Internet at the national park office. Once we were in Montana and a rig pulled in that was so huge and deluxe we looked it up and the base price was $500,000. It was towing a deluxe fancy Jeep which was probably more expensive than most of the rigs the rest of us were in.
    It is very rare for us to have Internet or cable as we stick to state, national and county parks. What I love is the diversity of the people, scenery, and cultures as we travel the country.
    Some parks are so remote you better have everything you need with you. All in all, we love it. And by the way, there are many single women and men on the road. Some work in the parks for months at a time, some work locally, especially in season for the area. Nothing like waking up to elk wandering around your campsite, seeing a bird you have never seen, or seeing a sky so full of stars you feel like you are in outer space.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    We spend 5-6 months on the road. Last trip was Kissimmee prairie state park, a dark sky and birders paradise. Out of the forty or so campsites here, there are huge rigs down to a young man amateur astronomer sleeping in his car with several huge telescope setups. The young couple next to us were sleeping in the back of their truck with a large screen tent with cooking stuff. We have met full timers in tents. there are some really old campers here people have spruced up. Old casitas are popular. Some people bike and carry everything with them. We like to invite them for coffee and a hot breakfast in the AM if they aren’t heading out. Once, on the Appalachian trail people would hike in to shower and use the Internet at the national park office. Once we were in Montana and a rig pulled in that was so huge and deluxe we looked it up and the base price was $500,000. It was towing a deluxe fancy Jeep which was probably more expensive than most of the rigs the rest of us were in.
    It is very rare for us to have Internet or cable as we stick to state, national and county parks. What I love is the diversity of the people, scenery, and cultures as we travel the country.
    Some parks are so remote you better have everything you need with you. All in all, we love it. And by the way, there are many single women and men on the road. Some work in the parks for months at a time, some work locally, especially in season for the area. Nothing like waking up to elk wandering around your campsite, seeing a bird you have never seen, or seeing a sky so full of stars you feel like you are in outer space.
    Gosh darn the USMC for souring DH on camping

I'd love to have those experiences!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Flowers, it is wonderful to read that such experiences are still possible. I remember the blueberries we picked for blueberry pancakes near Cadillac Mountain in Maine were a special reason to travel that route along with the sea-side shanties selling fresh lobster. Love these reminders!
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information