Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading 2019?

I love Russell Banks.
    Radium Girls sounds good. I enjoyed The Woman in the Window and found it a fast read.
    I am currently reading and enjoying the old classic, True Grit.

I had mentioned in a the Frugals thread that I cancelled a purchase of A Pattern Language by Christopher Alexander, and put it on my birthday wish list instead, and my DD bought me a used copy.

It's amazing! Definitely a keeper.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    ...I am currently reading and enjoying the old classic, True Grit.
    Our book club is reading "News of the World" by Paulette Jiles. It's a novel somewhat similar to True Grit - involves an old man and a young girl in Texas in the 1870s. Jiles is a fantastic writer and the book was a National Book Award finalist.

A group of us are enjoying "The Music Shop" by Rachel Joyce with today's gathering enjoying the music of different compositions referred to. They re quite diverse so I am looking forward to hearing the different artists and composers.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I'm reading Cheryl Strayed's Wild, her recounting of a hike of the Pacific Coast Trail. I'm about 40% through with it, and not impressed. But it's an easy read, so I might finish it and find out if she falls into bed with a fellow hiker or picks up her heroin habit again. Yawn.

In addition, I'm reading Amy Berger's The Alzheimer's Antidote, a guide to heading off dementia. So far, it doesn't provide much information that is new to me; she advocates a low-carbohydrate diet and intermittent fasting, among other interventions.

And I'm starting Crazy for You, a true crime tale that fascinated me when it happened. It recounts the murder of Rusty Sneiderman at the hands of Hemy Neuman. How Neuman, a seemingly rational man, became so besotted by the charmless Andrea Sneiderman that he threw away his life and that of another man in pursuit of her baffles me. That she was complicit isn't in much doubt. I'm looking forward to seeing if the book provides clues.

The Invisible Bridge. The timing is early WW2 in Hungary with parts in Paris. It is a very good read. I'm 2/3 of the way through it.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I'm reading Cheryl Strayed's Wild, her recounting of a hike of the Pacific Coast Trail. I'm about 40% through with it, and not impressed. But it's an easy read, so I might finish it and find out if she falls into bed with a fellow hiker or picks up her heroin habit again. Yawn.
    I couldn't get through the first two chapters. Back to the library it went.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

My book club has me reading fiction again after years of non-fiction only. Reading now We Are Not Ourselves about a fairly normal family wherein the father in his 50s begins acting strangely and is diagnosed with Alzheimer's and how that changes the trajectory of their lives.

I'm halfway through The Mueller Report and, to lighten things up, just started The Five, the untold story of the women killed by Jack the Ripper.

Unwinding of a Miracle. Just finished it. Incredible read of a woman's pathway from birth through a cancer death. Epilogue written by her husband.

I highly recommend this book. Next up? Educated!

Thread Information