Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mobile home communities

mobile home communities

During our quest to figure out housing options, we have been considering a winter home in a 55+ mobile home community. Unfortunately we have found that most have been acquired by corporations or other business ventures. They used to be mom and pop operations. The one we zeroed in on because of its location is an example. It was purchased about a year ago by an LLC that specializes in that type of housing. They raised the lot fee from $350 to 480 per month on acquisition. They now require application and other fees to equal one month's lot fee. Each resident even if married must submit a separate application. Anyway, we scratched that option off our list since there are no guarantees that all their fees would not rise appreciably as time goes by. Kinda sad for whom that type of housing is one of the last affordable options out there.

In my opinion, if local governments really want to alleviate the affordable housing squeeze--as they often say they do--they should find a way to increase the number of mobile home parks available with lots included, as well as with traditional lot rentals.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    During our quest to figure out housing options, we have been considering a winter home in a 55+ mobile home community. Unfortunately we have found that most have been acquired by corporations or other business ventures. They used to be mom and pop operations. The one we zeroed in on because of its location is an example. It was purchased about a year ago by an LLC that specializes in that type of housing. They raised the lot fee from $350 to 480 per month on acquisition. They now require application and other fees to equal one month's lot fee. Each resident even if married must submit a separate application. Anyway, we scratched that option off our list since there are no guarantees that all their fees would not rise appreciably as time goes by. Kinda sad for whom that type of housing is one of the last affordable options out there.
    What kind of services do you get for that money?

In this case, they offer cable/internet, water and trash. There is a pool and clubhouse if one considers that as an amenity. Strangely, one must still pay property taxes of $450 a year on your 1000sf metal box. We are thinking about looking for a fixer cottage instead since we would only be there for 3 months or so. I found a little 1940s cottage for under under $200K but it's on a large lot full of pecan trees.

In this case, they offer cable/internet, water and trash. There is a pool and clubhouse if one considers that as an amenity. Strangely, one must still pay property taxes of $450 a year on your 1000sf metal box. We are thinking about looking for a fixer cottage instead since we would only be there for 3 months or so. I found a little 1940s cottage for under under $200K but it's on a large lot full of pecan trees.
    I don’t think this cost, $13,000 ish a year, is bad at for a winter getaway. Isn’t there a chance you would go once or twice during the year at other times?

You wouldn’t have anything to maintain there, right? Or would you have some sort of lawn that has to be trimmed by someone or plants that have to be attended to even if in a minimal way.

My mother rented a two bedroom apartment in Texas for a couple of winters and it probably cost about that much. Her apartment was bigger than what she needed but she had the money so cost didn’t really matter.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 8-11-22 at 9:44pm.

Being retired, where it is difficult to meet people, this gives a way to meet people and establish a sense of community. YLMV

After spending a few winters in the Rio Grande of Texas, I am an avid proponent of retirement trailer communities. I love the community aspect, as well as, the low maintenance. There is always something to do and the weather can't be beat. It doesn't pay IMO to buy though unless you plan on living there year round.

I haven't found one yet where there are rentals but will look into that.

Seems like this community was talking about this very issue just a few years ago. Somebody said they had luck renting a mobile home in Florida from an elderly person who could no longer make the trip to Florida from the north but wasn’t ready to sell the mobile home yet. I would guess there’s quite a lot of those but I don’t know how you tap into that resource.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 8-12-22 at 8:38am.

Locally the lot rent keeps increasing and many times a developer comes in and buys up the land and all the people with trailers are displaced. I would rent but not buy.

Many times if you contact the community, they will have listings of people who want to rent. Some buy just for the sake of renting them out. Our landlord has 2 rentals.

Thread Information