Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Disneyland fight

The Disneyland fight

Have you all seen this? It is so horrible.

But I have this "theory" that hyper-consumerist cultures and lifestyles fuel an undercurrent of hostility in people. This undercurrent can turn stormy real quick, like in this video. These people are at Disneyland -- a non-stop consumption fest.

But something else is that it made me think about how important it is to ditch family members -- or even your whole family -- if they are toxic, violent, unstable, etc.

One can choose one's own family (of friends!) with some effort and diligence. And a chosen family can produce very rewarding experiences.

(Caution: Graphic)

Thoughts?

I think it’s just a family fight. I wouldn’t tie all of those societal observations to this single incident. It is ironic, though, footage like this at The Happiest Place on Earth. You know they call it that, right? The first time I heard that I thought no that’s too much but I think it is a Disney tagline for the place.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I think it’s just a family fight. I wouldn’t tie all of those societal observations to this single incident. It is ironic, though, footage like this at The Happiest Place on Earth. You know they call it that, right? The first time I heard that I thought no that’s too much but I think it is a Disney tagline for the place.
    I would not tie it to a single incident either. YouTube "black Friday." Lots of incidents. haha

The only thing really new is the posting on social media and the spreading around the internet. Sometimes I think most of us are just gossips at heart. Disney has security guards for this reason as well as many others.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    The only thing really new is the posting on social media and the spreading around the internet. Sometimes I think most of us are just gossips at heart. Disney has security guards for this reason as well as many others.
    I would not go to Disneyland for the same reason I won't buy anything on Black Friday. It is nothing but a fantasy world of conspicuous consumption.

I always thought Disneyland sounded like a special version of hell, but clearly lots of people feel differently.

I’ve always enjoyed bringing kids there. It’s expensive and fun, like many good things in life. Wouldn’t go for myself, although you see a lot of unaccompanied adults there. I’ve never noticed the undercurrent of hostility you allude to.

I think there may be an trend toward a sort of new Puritanism in this country, especially on the left, that has a real problem with other people’s fun.

I’ve generally been lucky in my family members. None of them have ever felt the need to ditch me for my many imperfections.

I took my mother to Disney World as she wanted to see some of the pavilions she had hear about. The condition I imposed was that she must move around using a wheelchair with me pushing as her mobility was somewhat impaired. The Disney staff treated her like a queen and sent me to the back to relax and enjoy myself. It was one of the highlights of her later years.
    DH and I took our kids to Florida including Disney World when they were around 8-10 years old for Christmas one year and they truly felt that they were in the Magic Kingdom. The whole experience was totally positive. My favourite ride was sitting in the teacup while listening to "Its a small world". I was impressed with the training of staff, the cleanliness and feeling relaxed and cared for.
    I am a strong Disney booster as a result. I would never want to go in the heat of summer and deal with crowds though.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I think there may be an trend toward a sort of new Puritanism in this country, especially on the left, that has a real problem with other people’s fun.
    Oh please. Unless your idea of fun is caging children or despoiling the environment--or parades featuring Nazi symbolism, I have no idea what you're talking about. The right has puritanism locked down, with its incessant preoccupation with people's sex lives.

We took my mother and father in law. We remember it was cold so we bought sweatshirts and it was raining so we bought ponchos. I got deathly sick on a ride (stupid of me since I had bad motion sickness). They just left me in the first aid station for 3 hours and went and rode some others. Still we had a good time. As someone said it is a fantasy world. Did see Walter Cronkite while there and he was wearing a suit and taking his grandkids or maybe great grandkids around.

Thread Information