Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Having a bit of an identity crisis.....work related.......

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Having a bit of an identity crisis.....work related.......

This is my very busy season right now and since I have part of today off, I thought I'd better post the following while I have time to do so. Namely, there is an upcoming vacancy in the Banquet Staffing Service office and I've been invited to apply for it - though I am not a shoe in for it and would be competing against other applicants were I to apply.

The job itself would mean a significant income leap and more stability BUT would come with the need to costume for a professional environment plus the need to buy a car and the car would have to be reasonably late model and unfortunately, appearances matter here so that car would cost money. I have not done the math that YMOYL recommends to calculate the real hourly wage due to my being unsure if I want to apply or not but this seems like a good way to start with my decision. Though this job would be along
    the lines of what I studied for in college years ago -it is in somewhat direct conflict with my life in the 85006 and my identity/beliefs and I'm having a real hard time with this. Also I worry to apply for this job - whether or not I get it if I apply - would be being disrespectful to the Austrian flag and my people/Homeland. I'm having a real hard time with that, too.

It boils down to this for me: Exactly what do I draw identity from? And what exactly do I owe the 85006 and what exactly do I owe the Austrian flag? And is money enough for me to turn my back on such? OTOH, at my age, how often can I expect such an opportunity to come along? It's a bit of a miracle I made it off the line into a Site Supervisor position to begin with. To say I'm conflicted here is the understatement of my year thus far.

Ultimately this is my decision as an adult but I thought since some of you here are familiar with my postings I'd ask for feedback......Thanks in advance. And I guess there is a compliment here buried in this for me too - were the Banquet Staffing Service unhappy with me, I would not have been invited to apply for this soon to be vacant professional job. Decisions, decisions.........Rob

Yppej
    Why would this be disrespectful to Austria?

People need good managers. If you have the qualifications why not take the job? Would you rather the line staff work for a jerk?

Possibly you could find a short term lease on a presentable looking car while you try out the job. Some of the clothes might be available at a second hand store. When I got my current job I bought an item or two each payday to supplement my interview outfits rather than buying a bunch of things at once while I was still in my probationary period.

We need good people in leadership, I had similar fears as I promoted but I’ve never regretted it.

Go for it! With more money for your efforts, you will be able to do more good in the world.

Is a professional job somehow at odds with Austrian culture or tradition?

I cannot fathom why a fancy expensive care is required unless you ferry people around like a real estate sales position or are some kind of taxi service for others and want to show off. A clean car without dents that works and gets you to places on time is all I would consider necessary. College kids usually think a new car is the first thing they have to have when getting their first professional job.

Beware buying lots of new clothes until you take the time to scope out the actual working wardrobe at the new job.

My husband asked me if the employers were NeoNazis? Otherwise, how could the job be in any way disrespectful to a country? I feel confident the same job exists in Austria.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    College kids usually think a new car is the first thing they have to have when getting their first professional job.
    My boss at my previous company was a billionaire. When we started the company, he had a negative net worth (grad school debts). Well after he became wealthy, he was still tooling around in the beat-up '70s-vintage Honda 600 he'd had since he was in college. It looked sort of like this picture, except all rusty and smoking:

We used to loan him "a real car" when he needed to go meet with anyone who cared about appearances.

I also am confused. When you say “costume for a professional environment” do you mean some form of actual costume derived from traditional Austrian ethnic dress? Is the Austrian flag part of the costume? Are you catering such that customers will see you unload their food or linens from your car? Do you have no choice but to park out front in a highly visible location such that your car will telegraph the potential quality of the establishment?

Men have it much easier than women when it comes to dress work clothes. What would really be needed? Are we talking suits or dark dress pants, some shirts, and ties?

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Men have it much easier than women when it comes to dress work clothes. What would really be needed? Are we talking suits or dark dress pants, some shirts, and ties?
    Polo shirts and khakis?

Thread Information