Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: how to solve global warming

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Again you fail in the attention to detail game. Since you forgot, I didn’t end up flying anywhere for team building exercises because SO had a trivial illness that has killed a million Americans in the last 2 years. You should probably schedule a doctor’s appointment to discuss memory concerns.
    But you probably have before and will again. You were all set to. Not to mention your jetset vacations. You probably use more carbon than me. My car is very fuel efficient and I have few electronic gadgets.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    But you probably have before and will again. You were all set to. Not to mention your jetset vacations. You probably use more carbon than me. My car is very fuel efficient and I have few electronic gadgets.
    And you just hit the nail on the head for why I dont t think we will make enough progress on global warming. Sure, I can talk a good game but at the end of the day I still have bills to pay so I need a job and I will take planes as needed to do it.

Yppej
    I dont t.
    Wow. I really pushed your buttons because you are stuttering.

You may need a job but it doesn't have to be that job. Or maybe you don't need a job you just like working. Maybe if you moved to a lower cost of living area like Alabama or Arkansas or Costa Rica or Poland you could retire now, but you like a certain elite lifestyle built on carbon.

Billions of people live in single income households. It's doable. Maybe you could negotiate this with your significant other.

[JP: Can't think outside my carbon box. Cant t t t. Must be a keyboard warrior and attack yppej. Cant t t t look in the mirror and change myself.]

For the record I’d rather not have an asteroid come kill most of what’s alive on earth today. And obviously I doubt that one is going to arrive anytime soon since it’s been 60 something million years sine the last one came to shake things up. But frankly I doubt that humanity is going to make the changes necessary to stop human caused climate change before billions of people are drastically negatively impacted. The likelihood of that happening is probably about the same as the likelihood of a 7 mile asteroid smacking the planet a second time. In the meantime we’ll have people driving their dinosaur fueled cars an hour each way daily while avoiding slightly longer once in a lifetime vacation trips thinking they are not part of the problem. And as time goes by those of us with the resources will spend a lot of money on things like ever taller sea walls to prevent the inevitable while those with less resources drown/sweat to death.

At least a seven mile long asteroid would split the suffering equally amongst all of humanity more or less.
    My son and I were talking about this just yesterday--that no one will do anything until we become the punch line of Don't Look Now. But the changes necessary go beyond cars and vacations.. we need regenerative agriculture, tough enforcement of protections of earth, air and water, and a whole different way of looking at the economy. For starters.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

In the meantime we’ll have people driving their dinosaur fueled cars an hour each way daily while avoiding slightly longer once in a lifetime vacation trips thinking they are not part of the problem.
    vacations aren't necessary, vacations aren't necessary, vacation aren't necessary. Although if one only took one vacation in a lifetime, it's pretty low impact. Driving to work to earn a living probably is necessary. I mean maybe one could find some way to live off others and not do that, or what become homeless? But those options are rare indeed or honestly with becoming homeless pretty undesirable.

By the way the hour each way commute I've done it. Do you know how many miles that is? TWENTY each way. Twenty miles takes an hour in rush hour(s) traffic, in fact I've done like 17 mile commutes that take over an hour. Bet someone thinks an hour commute is traveling vast distances. LOL, back in reality, traffic exists, being stuck in traffic exists and are a often unavoidable daily reality. A 10 mile commute can take 40 minutes on a regular basis.
    Trees don't grow on money

I continue to be amazed that working from home isn't the standard for everyone whose job can be done remotely. Commuting is bad for the planet and bad for people.

When I was house hunting I took the point of a compass and drew a 10 mile radius around my work place on a map (remember paper maps). That was my maximum bike commuting distance. It's too bad cities are not better designed so that more people can do that or something similar with public transportation. Or that people don't consider this more when house hunting.

You may need a job but it doesn't have to be that job. Or maybe you don't need a job you just like working. Maybe if you moved to a lower cost of living area like Alabama or Arkansas or Costa Rica or Poland you could retire now, but you like a certain elite lifestyle built on carbon.
    If I quit my job the reduction in carbon footprint would be nonexistent. My employer would simply hire someone else to do the same job and my work carbon footprint would just transfer to them.

Yppej
    If I quit my job the reduction in carbon footprint would be nonexistent. My employer would simply hire someone else to do the same job and my work carbon footprint would just transfer to them.
    Nice excuse. If everyone who could did this it would make a difference. Think of the impact of the current great resignation. Some businesses are now open fewer days because they cannot find staff. That helps.

Nice excuse. If everyone who could did this it would make a difference. Think of the impact of the current great resignation. Some businesses are now open fewer days because they cannot find staff. That helps.
    Or if everyone who could take a job closer to home did this, freeing up their current job for someone that doesn’t live an hour away. That seems much more realistic but people are too selfish to do such.

Thread Information