Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Are you still recycling?

I still recycle because the county provides curbside pickup. However, I have no faith it does any good. The processing center near my home closed, and who knows where the stuff gets sent.

Quote Originally Posted by lmerullo View Post
    I still recycle because the county provides curbside pickup. However, I have no faith it does any good. The processing center near my home closed, and who knows where the stuff gets sent.
    I understand what you are saying. I'm still trying to have hope that stuff does actually get recycled, but I'm turning more and more of my efforts into watching the types of packaging of the things I purchase. My "no plastic bottles" for dish soap and laundry soap is going okay, but only because the rest of the family is just now using up the last bottles of what we had in stock - lol.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

My condo building doesn’t recycle unfortunately. Although I do wonder with all the issues if it just ends up in the garbage anyway.

Most of our recycling now goes to a young friend who works at a daycare center. She uses it all for arts and crafts or other game playing activities. She even takes the net bags that onions, oranges, avocados come in and uses them to texture paint things. It's quite interesting all the things she does and I admire her creativity. One day she took bottles of colored water and filled up old mustard or salad dressing bottles and the kids had a ball. They squirted into buckets and created new color combinations and really had lots of fun. I'm not sure how messy this day was but lots of good times were had.

We’ve always recycled. When we lived in a desert town, the only place to do it was on the local military post, so we hauled it out there. In college we donated our bottles to the glass blowing class and the newspapers to the art department.

if our local dump stopped recycling, we’d find another way.

So, just as a little brainstorming exercise, what are the ways you actually REDUCE consumption / need to recycle? Here are some examples:

Rather than this/This

Food waste/compost
    Magazines/online reading
    Saran Wrap or aluminum foil/beeswax or repurposed jars with lids
    Bottled or cans of soda/water from a counter filter or a Brita or SodaStream
    Disposable utensils/Reusable utensils
    Paper napkins/cloth napkins
    Paper towels/rags and cloths or repurposed newspaper sheets
    Laundry detergent containers/DIY laundry detergent or detergent in biodegradable boxes

How many of these substitutions do you use?
    (Hoping to get input from our new member, Fruchtpilz, because she said she's into zero waste)
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I do all of the above, except magazines. Child and spouse both received magazine subscriptions as gifts, and I receive one after having made a donation (Nature Conservancy), so we get those. Plus, as I've stated elsewhere several times, I'm using bar soap for dishes and trialing bar soap shampoo. The shampoo I have right now lathers nicely, but there is a smell to it that I'm not comfortable with, so right now I'm rinsing my hair extremely well.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I do 5 of those. The biggest thing is the soda stream because we drink a fair amount of sparkling water.

You can use magazines for collages and to make papier mache' pulp.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Rather than this/This
    We still use paper napkins and paper towels but otherwise we're pretty much OK on the entire list. We even reuse the disposable utensils we get with takeout food.

I wonder about the cradle-to-grave carbon footprint of the creation of material that's suitable for cleanup at the end of its life (for example, old denim or polyester are not good for mopping up) and then repeatedly washing them (hot water, soap, heat and electricity for the laundry room) versus the footprint of another package of paper towels or napkins -- many of which become compost "drys" for us if they weren't used to mop up something greasy or toxic. Not taking a side; I just genuinely don't know which is greener across an entire life of a product.

Then there is the ever-increasing suspicion that checking off all of the items on the Rather than this list wouldn't save the planet an eensy-weensy fraction as much as, say, cleaning up combustion on one cargo ship engine for a year. Again, no hard numbers here. But it's difficult to avoid the conclusion that individuals like us are saving it with a teaspoon while industry and services are throwing it out with a shovel.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information