Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Different Way: Living Simply in a Complex World

A Different Way: Living Simply in a Complex World

In June I start facilitating the new simple living course from the Northwest Earth Institute. It is called A Different Way: Living Simply in a Complex World. We have 11 people signed up for the class.

I have facilitated the Voluntary Simplicity class a bunch of times, but this course is like part two.

The articles look excellent! I expect there will be some great conversations and revelations.

If anyone else is interested in doing this course over on their side of the street, let me know. I can share some ideas for getting it going.

As "cheese ball" as it sounds, doing these courses really lights up my life.

I have always wanted to facilitate one of their courses--they look amazing. I'll bet you do a great job.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I would live that, I agree that the groups I help lead mean a lot to me personally and socially, would you message me some info?

I have been reading all these simple and green ideas lately, most of them I do or have done. Especially when I stayed home I did every frugal eco friendly thing there was. It is more challenging in some ways but easier in others

UL, I am glad you are out there in the world leading these sessions. I think the real core message is "self actualization through voluntary simplicity" and I would like all Americans to be exposed to the idea.

We had the orientation meeting last night. Only 75% of folks showed up. Hopefully we'll have full attendance next time. People had other obligations -- they have complex lives, apparently. haha

The class is starting to pick up the pace and people are really opening up with each other.

Crowd-sourcing this question:
    Invariably these classes are almost all women; for instance, this class is 8 women and me (the only guy). Any guesses as to why this might be the case?

Not to be difficult but why does it matter? Women usually talk things through more and, in my experience anyway, men look at things/situations and then problem-solve modifying as seems wise. Both require intelligence and understanding. It is really wonderful when the two approaches combine and work things through. Often, men have commented to me about a situation that puzzled them looking for the conversation aspect and then done their modification as it seemed appropriate to them.
    Does that help answer your question?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Not to be difficult but why does it matter?
    I know it is rare these days, perhaps even more rare in your nation, but I have an intellectually curious mind. I ask questions when I see trends or anomalies.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Women usually talk things through more and, in my experience anyway, men look at things/situations and then problem-solve modifying as seems wise. Both require intelligence and understanding. It is really wonderful when the two approaches combine and work things through. Often, men have commented to me about a situation that puzzled them looking for the conversation aspect and then done their modification as it seemed appropriate to them.
    Does that help answer your question?
    Uh... please clarify. Thanks.

Do you think women have a need for discourse about these types of topics? Do you think women have more complexity in their lives in general (due to multiple responsibilities that are still mostly on their shoulder i.e. earning and child-rearing and homemaking) and are responding the idea of "a simpler way" out of that complexity?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Do you think women have a need for discourse about these types of topics? Do you think women have more complexity in their lives in general (due to multiple responsibilities that are still mostly on their shoulder i.e. earning and child-rearing and homemaking) and are responding the idea of "a simpler way" out of that complexity?
    I think it is possible women just like to talk more. I have definitely noticed that there are more ideological minimalists who are women and more practicing minimalists who are men.

Do you really think men have less complicated lives or fewer obligations?

Thread Information