Page 30 of 117 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast

Thread: Impeachment?

No one has a station in life and are told how to dress. That’s silly. I think trump is becoming totally unhinged and too bad that the Kurds will now pay with their lives. Hopefully, this circus will end in a year.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    No one has a station in life and are told how to dress. That’s silly. I think trump is becoming totally unhinged and too bad that the Kurds will now pay with their lives. Hopefully, this circus will end in a year.
    TT.....I'm not thrashing you here. All I'm going to say is that this is American thinking - which you are certainly free to engage in, don't get me wrong. In Austria dressing over your place in life is looked down on and considered an indicator of perhaps questionable character. U do believe among the young though this us changing. Anyhow, this is how I was raised. Rob

Should be I do believe among the young.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    TT.....I'm not thrashing you here. All I'm going to say is that this is American thinking - which you are certainly free to engage in, don't get me wrong. In Austria dressing over your place in life is looked down on and considered an indicator of perhaps questionable character. U do believe among the young though this us changing. Anyhow, this is how I was raised. Rob
    Who gets to decree what your station is?

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Who gets to decree what your station is?
    To some degree it's based on social class of origin, but also education and where you end out - at what level - in the workplace. Reputation has something to do with it, too. I tend to dress under my station these days, personally. It's good for the character.....especially in the times of bombastic buffoons such as Donald J Trump. But I will dress well over my station for any Impeachment Day Proceedings/Gatherings/Celebrations/Festivities. I'm losing my misgivings regarding his being impeached due to his non-cooperation with the impeachment inquiry. And I have several yet unworn button down shirts to wear with Jean's and a brand new pair of Docker's boat shoes I bought at a thrift shop for $7.....appropriate for any televised impeachment proceedings on a day off. Like a good Austrian I've got the outfits preplanned. I want to look my best for any images sent off to family across Austria. Rob

In Austria dressing over your place in life is looked down on and considered an indicator of perhaps questionable character.
    Your family sure has instilled a number of self limiting and self sabotaging beliefs. For what its worth, my mom is "off the boat" from Germany and I never heard of any such rules. If anything, it was the opposite (dress up even when those around you are in jeans/casual clothes).

To some degree it's based on social class of origin, but also education and where you end out - at what level - in the workplace. Reputation has something to do with it, too. I tend to dress under my station these days, personally. It's good for the character.....especially in the times of bombastic buffoons such as Donald J Trump. But I will dress well over my station for any Impeachment Day Proceedings/Gatherings/Celebrations/Festivities. I'm losing my misgivings regarding his being impeached due to his non-cooperation with the impeachment inquiry. And I have several yet unworn button down shirts to wear with Jean's and a brand new pair of Docker's boat shoes I bought at a thrift shop for $7.....appropriate for any televised impeachment proceedings on a day off. Like a good Austrian I've got the outfits preplanned. I want to look my best for any images sent off to family across Austria. Rob
    But why put yourself in a sort of uniform based on what you think somebody else thinks? If someone wants to make judgments about my education or bank account or parentage based on whether I have a button-down collar, doesn’t that say more about them than me? Such self-imposed sumptuary codes seems like a massive waste of energy.

The Austro-Hungarian Empire collapsed under the weight of that kind of caste-ridden foolishness. Why make any effort to impress any part of the remnants? Declare your sartorial independence and wear the shoes if you like the shoes.

TT.....I'm not thrashing you here. All I'm going to say is that this is American thinking - which you are certainly free to engage in, don't get me wrong. In Austria dressing over your place in life is looked down on and considered an indicator of perhaps questionable character.
    This is the line of thinking that led to the Jewish population of Austria, which had a vibrant culture, dropping from 250,000 people in 1933 to an effective population of about 0 by 1944 (*).

Maybe if they'd stayed in their place, things would have worked out better for them.

(*)Österreichische Historikerkommission: Schlussbericht der Historikerkommission der Republik Österreich. Band 1. Oldenbourg Verlag, Wien 2003, S. 291–293

Rob, I have to admit, that I'm surprised you subscribe to a "dress according to your class" protocol. What does that even mean? It honestly doesn't compute for me. So, am I doomed to a life of Ann Taylor (befitting my class as a middle-class, college educated, descendant of a Blue Blood), or can I indulge in Versace, or conversely, Converse?

I was reading the book ReWild or Die by Peter Michael Bauer, aka Urban Scout, who is a forager, rewilder, and activist, but he gets bashed for dressing like a Portland hipster. He actually has a great chapter on dressing according to your subculture, and how the comments he gets about the apparent disconnect between his dress and his life are off the mark and irrelevant.

So what subculture are you aspiring to represent with your costume prepared for the impeachment?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I've always dressed like Maynard G Krebs, and I share his work ethic, so...

I'd be an outcast in Austria, I'm sure. I look hippo-rific in a dirndl.

Thread Information