Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Money Or Your Life - Anyone doing the program?

Question Your Money Or Your Life - Anyone doing the program?

Hi Friends,

Has anyone here done the 9-Steps program described in Your Money Or Your Life?, I'm looking for some community support and guidance to complete the program. So far, I've started with Step 1a, calculating how much money has come into my life. I've also started decluttering a lot, so I've reduced my possessions significantly. It's been an emotionally challenging endeavor, and I need some support at times, so anyone interested in providing guidance or support? Or in walking together this journey towards a better relationship with money?.

Welcome! Most of us here have familiarity with YMOYL and have done some, if not all, of the steps.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Welcome! Most of us here have familiarity with YMOYL and have done some, if not all, of the steps.
    Hi Iris, that makes me so so so happy because I'm having a hard time with step 1 and would love to hear from the experience of someone that has already gone through it.

Yppej
    I got my lifetime earnings off my annual Social Security statement.

I read the book 25 years ago. It got me asking myself before buying something if I really wanted to work that much for whatever I was buying. Often the answer was no. I also started to ask if I would be taking it to a thrift shop in a few years. I stopped collecting things.

Yppej, that works for those in the USA. Kalu, are you in the USA?

The book motivated my wife and I to retire very early, though we didn't work through the formal steps so much.

Hello Kalu! I read the book but must admit that I never followed through on all of the steps. I think my big "aha" was that people often say "time is money," but an even more important concept is "money is time." When I spend my money, I'm trading my finite time on the planet for whatever I am buying, much like Teacher Terry says above.

We never followed the steps specifically but we credit the book for the motivation to "live life differently". We started tracking our expenses carefully, making our purchases deliberately, saving for the future, and recording it all in our annual entries to our Life Book. We started before the book was out and it confirmed we were on the right path. I still have my first copy and still give it as a gift when I think it will be appreciated.

I've bought the book several times...at thrift shops and have never made it all the way through the steps. But I think the title influences me the most. When we had our business I was always comparing everything I wanted to buy with how much glass we'd need to sell. Sometimes the trade-off wasn't worth it.

Welcome to the boards, feel free to jump in on challenges we have or start a new one, ask questions, read old threads.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Thread Information