Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Plastic plastic everywhere, challenge

PAPER STRAWS! I loved them as a kid, we used to foid them and make all kinds of things out of them, especially little "people" and when mom got tired of the mess, they went to the fireplace for kindling

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    Very true Bae. They could however buy and carry reusable straws with them.

Assuming they have the physical dexterity to clean the reusable straws.

I think there is a place for plastic disposable items. Most of us don't need them, but they are a godsend to people with certain disabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I know some folks who are unable to drink on their own without straws due to physical issues.
    Of course, I'm sure we all do. However that would be a very small percentage. Straws are automatically offered or distributed with every drink that is ordered. I leave them on the counter, or tell the drive-through cashier to keep it. I've shared with my grandson why I do this and now he just drinks from the cup, too.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Cellaneous View Post
    Assuming they have the physical dexterity to clean the reusable straws.

I think there is a place for plastic disposable items. Most of us don't need them, but they are a godsend to people with certain disabilities.

Or they could just carry their own. Plastic ones. Or paper ones, whichever.

Happy to report that the Aldi nearest me has finally started offering some produce items such as bananas and apples loose in bins so you can buy what you want without plastic.

I really disliked the plastic wrapped bananas as they always seemed to have fruit flies when I got them home and opened the plastic up.

I haven't read all the responses here, but I was about to start a thread about plastics, and saw this. Plastics have really started to bother me lately. Probably because I've heard more about the huge plastic "islands" floating in the seas.

I recycle everything I can, but that's not a solution. It's so hard to avoid plastic......the tops of things like oatmeal boxes, ice cream containers, nuts. The sleeves of crackers are plastic, rice is in plastic bags, along with many other things that used to be paper. Even the labels on cans of coffee are plastic. think of everything in medicine now.....I.V. bags, syringes, needle holders, etc., Then there's all the hard plastics on cars, etc. It overwhelms me. When I go to buy plants for the garden, most of them are in plastic pots. Bonnie's plants used to be in peat pots (peat is a problem too, but maybe better than plastic). I called the company and they said I could still get peat pots in their organic stuff. yes, the answer would be to grow my own from seeds. But the older I get, the more "shortcuts" I seem to need to take. At least I preserve the garden harvest.

Kroger has said they are getting rid of their plastic shopping bags in a couple years. That's great. If I ruled the world, soooooo many things would be required to be glass, or paper, etc.

I used to save every straw and plastic utensil I got, hoping some day they would be recyclable.......but they aren't. So I gave hundreds of them to a youth center, hoping they might use them more than once. And I agree.......most people don't need a straw. I always tell the server we don't want one....but they forget.

It's hard to even find pen refills. Most people don't want to mess with them, when they can just buy new ones.

I'm getting pretty depressed over this culture.........that has spread to many other poor nations, in terms of having plastics available, and they are just thrown into dumps, rivers, fields.

What a lazy, spoiled bunch we are. We don't deserve this beautiful earth.

I can't help but feel that humankind is a blight on this beautiful planet. I'm sad.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    According to him, Dasani water is better tasting than Evian or Poland Spring or any other bottled or filtered water.
    My dentist informed me that dasani has citroc acid in it. So yeah, it tastes better. But it’s also bad for your teeth.

Williamsmith
    While refusing a straw is a nice personal gesture to save marine life....wouldn’t it be more meaningful if say, McDonalds found a way to have a straw actually manufactured as part of the cup itself?

And wouldn't it be more meaningful if you never ate at Macdonalds, or Burger king, etc., etc. ? I say Down with all fast food joints! I know......I'm not being realistic.
    My guess why straws became plastic was that our cup size got bigger and bigger. It would be hard for a paper straw to last long enough to drink The Big Gulp.
    Also......everybody drinks in their car, and you don't want it spilling out......so you need a plastic lid too.

Yppej
    I found put the movie theater won't let me bring my aluminum water bottle in. They want me to buy their plastic water bottles.

Thread Information