Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Just another day in the USA.

It is starting to sound as though this shooting had nothing to do with any of these causes mentioned here and to go back to domestic violence and inter-family anger and violence.
    So maybe we need, as a culture, to do more to promote family therapy.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    White males suck! Well, maybe not if they're Canadian.
    But, thanks for highlighting another element of the toxic American culture I mentioned earlier. The proud display of hate and disdain by race and gender is a gateway to violence and destruction.
    Huh? i guess I should have made myself clearer. I'm glad I don't know any potential spree killers.
    If I had to hazard a guess, though, it would be that many of them voted for Trump--being embittered, put-upon white guys, and all.

I think 45 might be about half right when he says it's a mental health problem. However, I can think of no practical solution that would filter through all the people that are a half bubble off to identify possible shooters and give them the help they require. I would lean more towards it being a cultural issue.

Sounds to me like an generalized anger issue--is that considered an illness now? He apparently terrorized his family; bet they're happy to be rid of him.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Sounds to me like an generalized anger issue--is that considered an illness now? He apparently terrorized his family; bet they're happy to be rid of him.
    There are workshops and help for anger management so I'd assume it's a mental health issue. It just seems like there are a lot of angry people these days and I'd tend to think some of it is a manifestation of deeper cultural issues.

I'm pretty much out of answers. It is interesting that 45 has devoted so much effort to foreign terrorists, when most of them are domestic. To just say it's a mental health issue is about like saying, well there's not much we can do about it. Maybe that's right and maybe it's not, but it does seem like it's worth trying some things.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I don't know who all these self-professed "victims" are, but I guess judging by spree shooters, they're mostly white males. I'm glad I don't know any.
    What?!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    White males suck!
    Correction: Straight white males suck!

Alan:

I know a lot of leftists -- I mean a lot. And the vat majority of them judge straight white men by the color of their skin and not by the content of their character.

It is very acceptable to lump all straight white together in shorthand when criticizing the actions and policies of particular white men.

The leftists that I know who do this are almost all married to or dating white men.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Correction: Straight white males suck!

The leftists that I know who do this are almost all married to or dating white men.
    I'm a leftist married to a Trump-voting Republican. He's funny.. he hates going to Republican events in town because "they're all fat white guys like me!" At least he's honest. That's what I love about him.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yppej
    The Vegas shooter was known for being verbally abusive to his girlfriend. The Texas shooter was kicked out of the military for being abusive to his wife and child.

If you have a restraining order in place you're not permitted to have weapons (at least in my state). Maybe this prohibition needs to be expanded to include all abusers, even those where the victim does not file a restraining order. The military must have had ample grounds for the discharge.

It would also be good to have an anonymous tip line to report people who seem potentially dangerous and try to get them help like the neighbor kid mentioned above. Though it wouldn't work in every case. Reme!ber the frustrated virgin who passed a safety and wellness check then shot up a California campus? But still if you see something say something should go beyond foreign terrorists. The mother-in-law of the Texas shooter could potentially have saved lives if she spoke up after getting the threatening text.

So maybe we need, as a culture, to do more to promote family therapy.
    I think this is huge. I was reading a local teacher's lament about her daily job which is much more than teaching. She told of her elementary age students many of whom are neglected and witness to daily acts of family violence. These children have no mentors, guides or positive role models to help them see a future beyond their awful situations. They grow up angry and mis-directed. Something is very wrong with our culture now.

Thread Information