Page 31 of 38 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Please explain this to me

"I wants" over "I needs..... "
    My Blog

*Speak Kind Words - Hear Kind Echos*

It gives them something to do outside, in the sun, something that goes slow and they can ride instead of walking - walking hurts most older people. The lawns are empty of flowers and such because it is too much work to mow around such things.
    My Blog

*Speak Kind Words - Hear Kind Echos*

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I'm interested in learning more about this. I'm not a huge jazz aficionado but I agree with you about "art lite." (Instilled in me by a father who prohibited his children of ANY age from reading books with pictures in them, and who told me he was ashamed of me for using black in a painting, because "black is not a color.").

I'm interested in learning the difference between the artists you mentioned and the "smooth jazz" artists I found out about when I looked it up (Kenny G, for instance).

What are two examples of a traditional jazz artist and a smooth jazz artist that would clearly help differentiate the two for an unlearned listener?
    I would highly recommend Bob Blumenthal’s book “Jazz” for an understanding of the subject.

It’s hard for a humble fan like me to really articulate what the difference is between good and bad. I think it was Thelonius Monk who said something like talking about music is like dancing about architecture.

Explain to me:

Why we are spending money on a rover to Mars? When there is talk and action now of closing some Post Offices (W Virginia to start) to save money, to cut payroll taxes and get rid of social security and medicare or lower benefits, when this money could be used now during a pandemic to help those not working.

Trump is now talking about not having the election because of the virus but yet he says it is fake news/not as bad as it is made out and balks at wearing a mask?

Because we need an escape plan. This earth seems to be doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post

There were people from all over the country, including a loudmouth hybridizer from California who is known for his strong opinions and booming voice. D
    It's been a long day and I'm exhausted but this made me laugh.
    Formerly known as Blithe Morning II

Quote Originally Posted by ConnieVarricchio View Post
    "I wants" over "I needs..... "
    I've read in several places (books, internet, etc.) that, truth be told, there are only five basic needs: Clean Air, Water, Nutrients, Shelter and Sleep.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I've read in several places (books, internet, etc.) that, truth be told, there are only five basic needs: Clean Air, Water, Nutrients, Shelter and Sleep.
    human contact. the one thing that has been so banned for months lately …

Shelter is mostly about protection from the elements and being too hot or too cold so I think it has to include that (heating some places etc.).

Could certainly argue healthcare if it's needed (that's self-referential but I mean if you are getting sick and dying for lack of it)
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    human contact. the one thing that has been so banned for months lately …
    Banned for months? Physical contact, in some cases for some people - yes. Human contact -I disagree and say no. I still have human contact with people via face-to-face social distancing, talking over the phone, virtual contact... it's there. I'm probably MORE in contact with some people now than before the virus. Is it different? Yes. Does it take a bit more effort? Sometimes, yes. But it IS there.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Physical touch is a real universal need to be healthy. For many people living alone this hasn’t happened.

Thread Information