Page 59 of 601 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109159559 ... LastLast

Thread: Conavirus......

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    Oh, I think people who are already retired totally dodged the bullet. It's the people who are not retired yet but were planning on 5 years or so and were still highly invested in stocks.

I know a couple who is retiring this month and I'm assuming that they had already moved most of their investments to more stable vehicles.
    Many people who are retired still keep 50 or 60 percent in stocks, since for years we have been in an environment where you cannot make enough on fixed income to have your money last your lifetime.
    So I disagree with what you are saying here, and I know I did not dodge a bullet myself, nor did my husband.

I also want to add, Geila, that people who are retired are in deep trouble now, if they moved their money to "more stable vehicles," as we are now in a no-interest environment.

I’ve been retired now since 2007. I’ve held around 55-60% in stocks. Last I looked Im down a bit from the high, but I keep several years in cash.

i am a little concerned as I’m buying a house the beginning of April, and mine doesn’t close till a few days later. If the buyers of my house decide to bail, I’ll have two homes. At least I can keep their $15,000 down payment. Things would be a lot better if they go through with the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I also want to add, Geila, that people who are retired are in deep trouble now, if they moved their money to "more stable vehicles," as we are now in a no-interest environment.
    its not like we have been getting much interest before. Many will be able to refinance and get their home payments down.

My 2 siblings took a lot of their money out of the market a few months ago and recommended we do the same. Also luckily we can pay our bills and have some money leftover from our pensions.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    My 2 siblings took a lot of their money out of the market a few months ago and recommended we do the same. Also luckily we can pay our bills and have some money leftover from our pensions.
    I'm glad, Terry! Great timing!

I believe that trying to time the market is foolish even in situations like this. We can live on a pension and a few minor ( more or less ) guaranteed sources and let the portfolio ride. On the 31st i plan on rebalancing back to 60/40 equities/debt. I’m in it for the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I believe that trying to time the market is foolish even in situations like this. We can live on a pension and a few minor ( more or less ) guaranteed sources and let the portfolio ride. On the 31st i plan on rebalancing back to 60/40 equities/debt. I’m in it for the long run.
    I think the key part is "We can live on a pension and a few minor (more or less guaranteed sources and let the portfolio ride."

I think your plan is very sensible, but what you describe is not true for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Are they paying in silver?
    I didn't know they made fiat silver.

Our deferred compensation has a choice of getting a guaranteed amount of interest and you can’t lose your money. I feel very fortunate that we can live on the amount we have coming in even if we didn’t have any savings.

Thread Information