Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is it Monday or do I need a career change

is it Monday or do I need a career change

I can't tell. Sometimes I am regretting that I did not choose a different career path, but now I am really in deep. I am up to living wage range, but a lot of organizations don't pay as well as my district so I feel a little stuck here. And then I just want to totally change to accounting. I wish I had stayed up on my math skills over the years. I am thinking about taking statistic classes.

It may be that another assistant quit and the Monday after that one staff told me she was in a serious car accident. She has been out 3 weeks.After our dinner out to wish my assistant farewell she went to another bar, kept drinking, got a DUI and a bad accident. A new staff started and she is great but also work to get her trained in the last 6 weeks. I had to cover morning program AGAIN, which leads to a 12 hour day generally, and without an assistant I basically am in my office alone for 6+ hours until the afternoon program. I keep trying to have a social life, and then when I have a few weeks like I have had I just go home and take a nap before making dinner. I guess that can happen in any career, and I am really good at what I do.

To answer your question, maybe both? LOL.

Good point! I can take the statistics course and move towards change, I thought it would be more in the mindfulness realm but that company has had no work for me to develop my skills.

I am REALLY tired of stretching and growing and just wasting money on training courses like the mediation. I made sure I had a potential job lined up before I took the course and then found out he wanted 100% availability so he didn't hire me after saying he thought I had the right personality and skills for the profession. I had all weekends and most mid-days that were time I could flex.

I need my job coach again.

I have been thinking about taking some accounting courses, too! Must be in the air. My daughter in law went and got a financial analysis masters and she has placed herself on a great career trajectory and makes more than I ever did in education. So maybe I'll start with an accounting course; sounds useful just in understanding the world.

I would vote for a career change, from what I read here. I would have been driven mad years ago, were I in your position.

Yeah LOL, There is so much I do love about this job, however the work load is just crushing me and most of us. The things that are really important to me and part of a quality program are hard to get to. If I am going to spend this much time on paperwork I would love to get paid more, and maybe have someone to eat lunch with. Summer will be better since my camp only goes until 4 pm, looking forward to having somewhat of a life.

are you earning a pension, that's something you won't get in any run of the mill accounting job probably although if there is accounting for the school district maybe or landing some other government work maybe. Nontheless "someday in retirement" may not at all be worth the average day now being so grueling.
    Trees don't grow on money

Anyone who works 12 hours days has no time left for a social life. Whenever I work 12s, all I do is work, eat, and sleep. I just worked 4 of those in a row. Exhausting. But now I get 4 of the next 5 days off.

You're working 12s Monday thru Friday. You should expect nothing more of yourself until your work settles back into normal.

Check carefully into accounting or any other move as the job openings may not be there when you complete your training as many graduates are finding out with huge student loans.
    Your long work experience will have a large impact though on successful job searches.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    Anyone who works 12 hours days has no time left for a social life. Whenever I work 12s, all I do is work, eat, and sleep. I just worked 4 of those in a row. Exhausting. But now I get 4 of the next 5 days off.

You're working 12s Monday thru Friday. You should expect nothing more of yourself until your work settles back into normal.
    Oh yes, 12's and you don't have a life. I am really not intending to be a workaholic, I talked to 2 other people in my position today and we are all feeling the same this time of year. My one staff is back today so that helps, and one morning person has strep! She is taking the first 3 weeks of summer camp off to get her tonsils out so that is good. She has caught everything this year.

I know it will settle down again, but it is hard to plan things or maintain things like fitness or social plans with this schedule. I used to have a friend who worked from home and was halfway between the main office and my location. I could stop by once a week and hang out for 30 minutes or bring my lunch. She was the one who also got me smoking again so that was bad, but I miss having someone to eat lunch with now and then.

Thread Information