Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you feel about tipping? Should it be done away with and living wages be paid?

I'd suggest the people I see using their cell phone for texting and talking during a restaurant meal explore the calculator feature. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I'd suggest the people I see using their cell phone for texting and talking during a restaurant meal explore the calculator feature. Problem solved.
    I think there's a tipping app, too.

I find multiplying the bill by (2pi * e * sqrt(3/2)) and then moving the decimal point appropriately does the job, and is reasonably simple.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I find multiplying the bill by (2pi * e * sqrt(3/2)) and then moving the decimal point appropriately does the job, and is reasonably simple.
    ROFLOL!!! I love it!!! Thanks for the giggle!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

But that would be approximately 20.9%. As I mentioned earlier, I like to round up and 21% feels oddly pretentious.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Should that apply to the total bill including taxes, or just the total food bill?

We tip 15-20% depending on the level of service given. I totally don't like at "fast food" places when they ask if I want add a tip to my bill when I order. I am thinking, for what? There is a Hawaiian food chain locally that always asks. It is awkward, makes me not even want to go there. I feel if I don't tip they are going to not give me good service. Another local Mexican place when you tip they ding their little bell and all the workers say "gracias" :-) There is a lot of behind the scenes things that servers do that the general public don't see so I think they deserve more. Especially seems I am vegetarian/vegan there is often changes made to the normal menu items to accommodate my diet.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg44 View Post
    We tip 15-20% depending on the level of service given. I totally don't like at "fast food" places when they ask if I want add a tip to my bill when I order. I am thinking, for what? There is a Hawaiian food chain locally that always asks. It is awkward, makes me not even want to go there. I feel if I don't tip they are going to not give me good service. Another local Mexican place when you tip they ding their little bell and all the workers say "gracias" :-) There is a lot of behind the scenes things that servers do that the general public don't see so I think they deserve more. Especially seems I am vegetarian/vegan there is often changes made to the normal menu items to accommodate my diet.
    The fast food places I go to don't ask. The thing you put your credit card in to pay your bill has a screen that asks if you want to leave a tip and offers several amounts. If you want to tip, you touch the appropriate amount, if not you touch "No". Quick, simple, and nobody gets embarrassed by having to ask or having to say no.

I round up to the next highest multiple of 10, calculate 10% (which doesn't take much calculating) and then double it as a minimum. Since Covid, we have been tipping higher amounts.

I usually tip 20% for a sit down meal. I refuse to tip at Subway or other places where I am picking up my own food. This goes back way before covid. Workers in those places are getting a set hourly wage.

Thread Information