Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Our artistic endeavors

Very nice!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thanks IL for the description of how you prepare for the shows. Nice to know that your work would be recognized as yours...you have a reputation.

I won Best in Show for design in The North American Lily Society Virtual show. Awards were announced today. There were 27 designs made by 18 designers across North America.

Top awards

http://nals2021.lilies.org/NALS_2021...ds_website.pdf

Nothing remarkable happened with my two Horticulture stems. One of them got a third place. The first and second place stems in that class were astounding.

all design awards

http://nals2021.lilies.org/NALS_2021_Lily_Show_Design_Class_Awards_slides.pdf

some nice garden Lily stems. I was on the judging team for collections and container-grown lilies.

http://nals2021.lilies.org/NALS_2021...on_D_E_F_G.pdf

I also won best in division award for a local virtual show and there was no best overall show design, so I’m happy with that.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    I have to fess up. I have no artistic ability whatsoever other than when I try I can write well. There used to be a stereotype and still is to some extent that gay men tend to be artistic and creative and I'm afraid I slept in late the day such was given to gay men. Though I will say one thing - one of the few splurges I've made since landing a stable job for once - I renewed my membership at the Phoenix Art Museum.

I do enjoy an afternoon starting at the museum restaurant and then moving on to the exhibits. But I have no such talent myself. Someone's got to appreciate the talents of others though, no? Rob

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I won Best in Show for design in The North American Lily Society Virtual show. Awards were announced today. There were 27 designs made by 18 designers across North America.

Nothing remarkable happened with my two Horticulture stems. One of them got a third place. The first and second place stems in that class were astounding.

http://nals2021.lilies.org/NALS_2021...rds_slides.pdf

The best in show designs are at the bottom of the scroll.

I also won best in division award for a local virtual show and there was no best overall show design, so I’m happy with that.
    Congrats, IL! That's really cool. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    There used to be a stereotype and still is to some extent that gay men tend to be artistic and creative
    Theory: Little girls are taught that it's ok to be emotional and express their feelings. Indeed little girls are taught that they absolutely should be emotional and express their feelings because being feminine (aka girlish) makes them more attractive to boys. But little boys are taught that big boys don't cry and real men are strong and brave. Indeed, little boys are strongly taught that even if something hurts they have to be brave strong little men -- Stiff upper lip! Soldier on regardless! No one respects a crybaby... Perhaps the stereotype of homosexual men being more creative is simply the result of them traditionally being outside of the mainstream and therefore feeling like they have more freedom to defy the male/female stereotypes by expressing their emotions and creativity openly?

Just a theory, based on various LGBTQI+ friends I've had.

What's you opinion Rob?

ETA: I hope and believe the stereotypes I described of how boys and girls should behave are no longer being as widely or rigidly taught to little boys and little girls as they were 65 years ago when I was a little boy, but they are probably still far too widespread and constantly reinforced by schoolyard teasing.

ETA2: Ironically the trilogy I'm currently reading, "Way of the Warrior Kid", perpetuates and encourages the brave strong little boy stereotype I just criticized, and yet when I post a review of it, I will strongly endorse it as a good book for both boys and girls to read. (Sigh....Real life is complicated!)
    Last edited by GeorgeParker; 8-28-21 at 8:03pm. Reason: Added ETA and ETA2

I won Best in Show for design in The North American Lily Society Virtual show.
    Wow!!! Congrats!!!

Congratulations, IL! Beautiful work!

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Wow!!! Congrats!!!
    Bae, someone from Orcas islands attended our virtual award ceremony, and since there was only about 50 people attending the Zoom meetup, that is a small world coincidence. I know 70% of the regulars at our convention but do not know her. Don’t remember her name.

Top awards

http://nals2021.lilies.org/NALS_2021...ds_website.pdf

all design awards

http://nals2021.lilies.org/NALS_2021_Lily_Show_Design_Class_Awards_slides.pdf

some nice garden Lily stems. I was on the judging team for collections and container-grown lilies.

http://nals2021.lilies.org/NALS_2021...on_D_E_F_G.pdf

Congratulations, IL! Well deserved!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information